Z is for Zeppelin Vintage Postcards

vintage postcards

I'm listening to Led Zeppelin as I post this! This rigid airship was pioneered by the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. His interest in aeronautics was sparked during his first hot air balloon ascent. He was actually serving as a German observer with the Union Army during the American Civil War at the time!

View more Zeppelin vintage postcards here:)


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

23 cool cats commented:

Laila said...

I really like this post, that's a really cool postcard! :-) Gotta love a good piece of history on how things like a Zeppelin came into this world in the first place :)

Lydia said...

Remarkable photo on that postcard. What a find; it's really old!

Have a peaceful weekend. :)

Marie Reed said...

I'm colour blind! Can anybody tell me what colour I framed it in! I just randomly clicked on it:)

claude said...

I will not have wanted to go in such a machine.
Have a good week-end Marie !

Ming said...

Oh weird. Who knew it was named after a guy named zeplin! Well... I guess you did.

Ming said...

Framed in NAVY BLUE.

Unknown said...

Zis Zeppelin iz zuper!
Another contraption that is full of hot air...

Sarah J. said...

I am a first timer to your blog! I love it! SWEET postcard by the way.

dmarks said...

I have a small collection of airship postcards, that I have not even tapped into yet for the blog. Thanks for the reminder.

Marie Reed said...

I was honestly hesitant to post this! I didn't want to bore anyone:) I'm glad to see some comments!

Postcardy said...

That is an interesting piece of history. I never would have associated a German with the Civil War.

Pat said...

We used to call these 'blimps' when I was little, and I thought they were the greatest things to cross the sky.

Marie Reed said...

Bibi - I currently refer to my derrière as a blimp butt:) I am sitting on my own personal goodyear blimp right now:)

Sparky said...

Neat postcard. Groovy, you like Led Zep too! I knew you were cool. Led Zep is one of my favorite 1970s groups. I especially like their "Stairway To Heaven". I listen to Channel 46 on XM radio and listen to all the old hits all day long. ♥ ∞

Chris Overstreet said...

Oh, the humanity!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Hello Marie,
I wanted to mention that this first week of March is "Celebrate Your Name" week in the genealogical community in North America.
I realize that yours is a postcard blog but maybe you (or your readers) should think of airing out a few more of your "Marie Antoinette" cards since your name is Marie (and do you have a secret middle name I wonder?)
Evelyn in Montreal
P.S. It's about people's FIRST NAMES (not surnames).

Starman said...

Remember the Hindenburg.

Marie Reed said...

Ahhhh yes Starman! I should post about that too... Here is the Wiki link:) .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

Marie Reed said...

Can someone tell me how to share a link within the comment box? I always expect it to be automatic!

ChaChaneen said...

Oh I like this one, it does look old. To imagine being there when the picture was being taken... cooool!

dmarks said...

Marie: Everyone loves airships!

As for links in comments, it is tedious and non-obvious, but this is what you do.

Substitute X with less-than (shift-comma) and Y with greater-than (shift-period) when you type this in:

Xa href = "http://whateverthelinkis.com"Ywhat you want to call the linkX/aY

Marie Reed said...

dmarks! You are a knight in shining armour! I've been wondering that for ages:)

Ororina said...

I really love such postcard-motives. They show life :D