Dublin, Ireland Post Box - Postcard Friendship Friday

vintage postcards

The lovely Con over at blogaire.blogspot.com sent me this gem! He wrote, "These Post Boxes predate Irish Independence and you can see the British Monarch's Crown on it. After the Irish Free State was set up after 1922 the cash strapped government couldn't afford new boxes so the just painted the red British ones green!" vintage postcards



New to Postcard Friendship Friday? Welcome!! Go read this to get started:)

35 cool cats commented:

Vodka Mom said...

oh, I love your mailboxes!!!

Anonymous said...

"After 1922 the cash strapped government couldn't afford new boxes so the just painted the red British ones green!"

... and they still use them!? :-)

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Before seeing the pictures over the past few weeks I had never realized that postal boxes were shaped so many different ways!
Evelyn in Montreal

Postcardy said...

Amazing how well it has lasted!

Mescrap said...

Happy PFF !

ChaChaneen said...

I love how people are sending you pictures of the mail boxes! Very fun you lucky girl! How are you feeling today, all better yet? I suspect after that delicious crepe yesterday you are but I still thought I would ask. :)

Sparky said...

Ireland Forever! :o)
I will take pics of our new mailbox when it's finished. We're redesigning the whole entrance at our home.
Happy PFF pal! ♥ ∞

Betsy Brock said...

Our old boring gray boxes they call mailboxes here are really looking bad now! That cute green one is so neat!

Amy said...

I am heading out of town. Have a great weekend.

Polly Forns said...

What a really cool-looking post box! I probably would not even have known what it was :)

steviewren said...

Love the mailbox picture. I wonder why they chose that particular shape. I know why they chose the green paint! *grin*

Pearl said...

Can Mail Boxes be "Darling"?!

I Love anything with a "Crown" on it... Thanks for sharing...

Pearl

Anonymous said...

green mailboxes! how irish! :)

Paul van Yperen said...

Nice story. I like the colour, but the old red boxes from England can be so beautiful too. Enjoy tour Postcard Friendship Friday!

claude said...

This green Irish mailbox is very beautiful.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

A great card! I'd love to have a green version of me. :)

Mim said...

This sounds like fun - I have a million postcards to post

Pat said...

So green, so pretty, so Irish!

twinkle teaches said...

Happy Friday my friend!
tina :)

Catherine said...

Perfect, I love the story that goes with.
Maybe they're clearly less visible in green but they're perfect for Ireland. They've always wanted to show their differences.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Those clever Irishmen! I love that you show us all the different types of postal boxes! They are like mini works of art!

Linda said...

I just love your postcards. Love the green mailbox. Blessings

MuseSwings said...

Love your mailbox photos! This one is definitely "wearin' o' the green" Mmm I see crepes and cider one post down. I must dash over there!

Daryl said...

Wonderful ...

Indie said...

I think those mailboxes are beautiful! I have to echo a comment I just made at another favorite blog: why can't things be constructed for beauty in addition to functionality in our modern world (and when I say world, I refer to my little corner of it in Northern California, where things could be so beautiful but usually aren't)?

Eddy said...

now green for Ireland OK,
but why yellow for ours (in France)?
happy PFF.

Starman said...

I'm too lazy to investigate why Ireland chose to be represented by the color 'green', but I wonder.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Hi Marie,
I love your postcards. And I'm really excited about Postcard Friendship Friday! My first postcard isn't of a mailbox, but I hope you and readers like it.
Judy

PeterParis said...

Maybe they could have afforded to replace the boxes later, but these mail boxes are just too nice! Good that you can still see them around!

lorhen82 said...

That is so cool!

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Cool mailbox. Ours are square and dark blue. Very boring!

I still haven't scanned in any postcards, but I left you Betty Boop! Boop oop a doop.:)

Shey said...

Hi Marie! This is interesting, I will try to join next time.

Just dropped by to say, "Have a happy weekend!"

Lydia said...

That's one GREEN mailbox and I love it. I was too late to sign in for PFF on Friday. (My Old Postcard Wednesday offering this week was of The Cliff House in San Francisco.)

It's not too late to plan on shutting out your lights at 8:30 p.m. tonight (Sat.) for Earth Hour 2009!

ChaChaneen said...

Yea, I got through everyone except for one. I'm going to have to get up earlier to visit everyone in one day! ha ha

Sock Monkey said...

Sock Monkey and English mailbox

Look what I brought you!!!

xoxoxo
Sock Monkey