The Theft of the Mona Lisa

vintage postcards
There was a sudden boom in postcards bearing the image of Mona Lisa after the theft of the painting on August 21st 1911! Jocund jokes like, "When will they swipe the Eiffel tower," were scrawled across postcard backs and sent to love ones. The smiling national treasure was found a few years later just kilometers from the Louvre in the kidnappers apartment!



This video is amazing! My kids love it too!

View more Louvre vintage postcards here:)

20 cool cats commented:

claude said...

Very funny, Marie ! I love the video too !

Celine said...

I can't watch the videos at work but the playmobil Mona Lisa cracked me up!

SILVER said...

very interesting..La Joconde! like the sound effects too. very cool.

Pat said...

I love the Playmobil Lisa. I had a photo somewhere with the Mona Lisa smiling, showing a mouthful of braces....can't find it, but if I do, I'll send it to you

twinkle teaches said...

Love the playmobil/lego? Mona Lisa!!!:)
tina

Catherine said...

Love it too ! It reminds me the "d'Art d'Art" show, we watch on French TV. Yours is more funny.

Vodka Mom said...

i just LOVED the video!!

haha

Daryl said...

How fun ... loved her teeth

Sparky said...

I never knew all that about the Mona Lisa, like she has the veil around her head, the background, etc. That was so interesting and enjoyed it immensely. The video 'hosed up' half way through though. I am going to try and find it at YouTube so I can watch the whole thing uninterrupted. :o) ♥ ∞

Digital Fortress said...

Verry funny! Great site! Love the way it is setup.

PeterParis said...

... and Leonardo painted it for years and kept it to his death. Finally it has travelled a lot, with Leonardo from Italy to France, from one royal castle to another... to the US, to Russia, to Japan... Fortunately it's still there for our pleasure. (Surprisingly small when you see it.)

Starman said...

I loved her teeth.

Laila said...

That's a freaky version of Mona Lisa! Yikes. Can't see the video at work so I'll have to wait until I get home....

Linda said...

If only you can see my smile. ☺

Spök-spök said...

Toofhairy says: "Cool!!!"

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Too cute!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

You need to add something in your post about the da Vinci Code - then all the conspiracy theorists will come and visit!
As a matter of fact that could make a good theme some day - postcards that connect to the da Vinci Code (I'm talking about the book by Dan Brown!
Evelyn in Monteral

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Love the Mona Lisa doll.:) Also enjoyed the video. You know I never really paid attention to the background though some professor of Art History probably explained that a long time ago.:)

When I saw the painting in The Louvre it was so small compared to what I thought it would be. Of course "The Da Vinci Code" made her even more famous.:)

Ms Cupcake said...

That Mona Lisa doll is too stinkin' cute! Very cute. Where do you find these wonderful things?

Onna Holland said...

How funny!! The playmobil mona lisa cracks me up!! Love the tidbits you share!
Onna
http://toddlercraft.net