Glam 40's Hair Tutorial

vintage postcards

I was watching Rita Hayworth movie clips on Youtube and then randomly fell on a 40's hairstyle tutorial! I couldn't believe how easy it was to realize a glam updo! I watched the tutorial, twisted it up, slapped on some red lipstick and felt like the cat's meow! Francois even said that he like my hair:) That just about gave me a heartattack! vintage postcards

Casting an eyeball on this video will run you a good ten minutes. But.... you could bookmark it and watch it later too:) The cutie patootie girl who made the video has a blog too! She seems like such a sweetheart!:)

30 cool cats commented:

Diane said...

she is a cutie! really good tutorial. thanks for sharing!

Marie Reed said...

I have this feeling that my blog is taking agesss to load? Is anybody else having problems with it?

Shey said...

Not for me, no problem with loading your page.

I feel like mine loads slow when I'm editing it. Weird.

This is a good post. I agree she's cute and now I know how to do it too. Thanks for posting!

Daryl said...

No problem here ... fun hair lesson

Pietro Brosio said...

Nice video, Marie. No problem with loading your blog which is always a great pleasure to visit.
About your question, of course I like progress but if it doesn't spoil nature. But I took that image of the repeaters on the Apennines for another reason: because I find there is something mysterious in it: hope to have passed my slightly worrying feeling on to the readers!

Marie Reed said...

I am soo glad to hear that there isn't a loading problem! I took off a bunch of widgets that were slowing it down! I'm glad that it helped!

Pietro Brosio said...

I forgot: about progress and technology, sometimes I wonder how much space there must be in the Internet to house every day all the thousands and thousands of new posts and new blogs! But where is all that endless space?.....
Have a nice evening, Marie!

Laila said...

I took a little extra time to load for me here but I know your blog is worth the wait so no worries...

I'm not able to watch the video here at work but I'm dying to check it out so I will tonight!

:-)

Tess Kincaid said...

Rita Hayworth had the best hair! Don't you love that scene in Gilda when she flips her head up?

Sparky said...

I love the 1940's hair styles! I have a pic of my adopted mom from 1944 with lovely wavey hair. Makes me wish my hair was long again. [sigh]

Nah. (Too much work) ;o)

Daryl said...

Back to ask .. did you get the photos of the mail boxes I sent weeks ago? And have you seen the mail boxes in Israel?

http://aroundtheisland.blogspot.com/2009/03/got-mail.html

Cynthia Pittmann said...

I remember wearing this retro style in high school! What a fun idea. Okay, Marie Isabelle, it's your fault if people around here think I've lost my mind but I'm going to start wearing my 40's hair again! Maybe I'll even wear red lipstick! (maybe?) At least, I will have a fun way to put my hair up for the day!

I watched the entire tutorial and practiced a modified 'du in my office ( I don't have the spray or pins...just brush and band...so it went flat!!!

I hope that your Francois doesn't recover from his thrill at your hair...but of course that may require a bit of CPR for you! Thanks for sharing. <3

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Oh your blog takes a bit longer to load than other blogs...I lowered my security recently to solve that problem. I also have to check the popup blocker on my computer-it goes on automatically for your blog. It's no problem anymore. <3

Eddy said...

Ho what's a beautiful haircut.
It's "Gilda" no ?
I love the 1940' haircuts.

Catherine said...

It's OK for me, but I have no video available ?! I'll come back later to watch it.

The height of elegance for Rita. So distinguished !

Unknown said...

I am a sucker for old movie star pix. That girl is a real cutie too!

Sandy xox

SparkleFarkel said...

Loved all this Rita-ing! Remember back in the day-- Seinfeld hayday (1992ish), that is-- when the Elaine Benes character's hair was doing it's take on the Forties? I remember it well as I became the biggest Julia Louis-Dreyfus copycat (only my hair rose even higher-- it was like the yeast taking over bread dough!) in Wisconsin (which was no contest, I guess, 'cause I seemed to be the only one around hoping the "do" would catch on!) Love the Forties, simply love them! Thanks for a great blog!

love said...

I love that. Maybe I'll borrow it and post it for brides. It seems every wedding that I have booked for next year has a vintage theme.
Marie my blog and my website seem off. Someone said they couldn't even get on my website. I could though.
Your blog loaded fine for me.

Catherine said...

This morning, I succeeded to watch the tutorial. Fine !
Next week, the Audrey Hepburn's chignon of the 60's : )

soulbrush said...

at first i thought the cutie patooite was you...ha ha i haven't got enough hair to even do one half a twist. oh so glad you mentioned it, yes your blog takes ages to download and appear, that's whay i don't visit every day anymore.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love Rita's hair!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the hair and style of this era. It reminds me of what my grandma looked like at that time period.

ChaChaneen said...

You KNOW I lurve me some hair tutorials! ha ha I love this and of course I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I bet you looked like a MILLION all gorgeous for your Man!

Katie said...

OMG I think this is going to change my life! Sad, huh? Thanks for sharing, and I'll definitely go find the Lazy Woman's French Twist video!

Peldyn said...

Love this! I have been so into the retro 30's and 40's clothing right now so I have to start doing my hair like this!

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Loved this! Don't know if I can do my hair like that, but it looks really easy and fun. Thanks for posting this.:)

Starman said...

I like today's hairstyles, but I also liked most of the hairstyles in the forties.

Margo said...

I love this look. I'll have to try this. I checked out her blog, it was cute too. Your blog loaded fine for me :)

Mescrap said...

She's so beautiful !!!

Lora said...

You are a classic beauty.Rare to find.I ran across this and was impressed by how simple the hairstyle was to accomplish.My theater group does a radio play every year where we need the 40's look.I thought it was so hard to do.Thank you for showing me how.