The First Orient Express Menu

vintage postcards

The first menu on board the famed Orient Express (October 10, 1882) consisted of...

- Oysters
- Turbot with green sauce - Turbot is a type of flat fish. I want bumpy fish!
- Chicken ‘à la chasseur’
- Fillet of beef with 'château' potatoes
- 'Chaud-froid' of Game animals - 'Hot-cold' of Scrabble playing animals-
- Lettuce - Did you bring your pet rabbit?
- Chocolate pudding
- Buffet of desserts - Umm.. isn't chocolate pudding a dessert? Why did pudding get a seperate mention?


Cynthia, that darling and clever girl over at Muse Swings, invites you to join her Orient Express adventure. Come join the fun!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

42 cool cats commented:

steviewren said...

Isn't the train station grand! I'm so excited about the trip, but I was astonished to discover your side business....forgery! Postcards, passports....what else do you have for sale Madam?

Pat said...

Oh, slurp. Pudding I guess is a dessert, but maybe too humble, and just an introduction to the real thing.....

ChaChaneen said...

Dahling, I'm so glad you could come, you must join us for a drink later. Alas, I need your help. I need to find a book for the trip and I can't read any of these titles and I don't recognize any Americana.

(Wow Marie, these cards are sooooooo beautiful!)

ChaChaneen said...

By the way, have you seen my sister Melody? I left her a note telling her to meet us, perhaps I could employ you to write one in French for me? Oh I would be just lost here in Paris without you here. You're the dearest friend a girl could have. And I must know where you got that gown, it is GO-RG-EO-US! And your long hair all swept up like a Gibson girl... sigh... I could take a few lessons from you!

Sparky said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're here Marie! Now I can have an expert order from the menu for me. I know some espanol but french is beyond my puny means.
LOVE the postcard! Very fitting.
[waving your way] ♥ ∞

MuseSwings said...

Bwahahah! I like my fish bumpy too! What wonderful postcards you have here ...quite the front for your passport uhm rejuvination business in the back room. I must dash off to the dining room for a piece of that delicious lettuce. I just hope it has something on it. Or around it.

Marie Reed said...

That's right Stevie! I'm checking passports here in Paris for La Gendarmerie. Your papers seem to be in order but that Musey ..pfff... hers had expired
10 years ago. She'll have to pay me a pretty penny..well franc.. to clear up this horrid debaucle!

Marie Reed said...

Sparky speaks French! She just asked me to sit on a frying pan of red wine... her language skills may be a little rusty...

ChaChaneen said...

Yes Dahling, purrrr your sweet french accent. Did I tell you that I just love green emeralds? No? Reeeeeeeally Dahling I do! Perhaps you could distract Sparky for a moment... I think there is a mishap in her passport. She'll need to stop at the customs desk to go through her baggage. I have a friend there... JM.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Voila, Marie, thank you for the heads up! I left home without it but have returned with it, so no extra francs today! Didn't you hear? Cheap is the new chic! ;)

Ah, a delicious day ahead, Marie.
Merci!

Muse is doing a wonderful job in guiding the conductor to slow down a bit so that we can enjoy all the City of Lights has to offer.

See you in the dining cart or talking with the gentleman who may be looking for femme fatale? ;)

Beth Niquette said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments about my blog. In return, you must know that I am enjoying your blog equally as much! (grin)

Have a wonderful day.

Keith said...

That looks fantastic. I really like it. This is my first time visiting your blog. I think it's great. I'll definitely have to come back again soon. Cheers!

Linda said...

{all in jest}

Marie, you might want to let it slip that Sparky the Spark is not who (or is it WHOM) she saids she is. (rofl)--Blessings

Tea Time With Melody said...

Love the train station. I think I will stick to the desert menu. Yummy, but then I might not fit into my new fashions I picked up before the trip....

Meet you and Muse Swings in the bar later for a drink.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Room for a little one? Hopped over from Bibi's and said how I's like to have travelled on this Grand Dame in her hey day. You really do have a card for each occasion.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh good, I see they serve lettuce...now I can bring Nugget! :) Interesting about the chocolate pudding! Maybe it was just invented and considered a luxury? Yum! It all sounds wonderful! Toot, toot! All aboard!

Marie Reed said...

@Betsy - Hooray!! Nugget will love the train ride!

Kat Mortensen said...

That is a gorgeous postcard!
I'm definitely having the oysters. I adore oysters...and pearls.
Chocolate pudding? Twice? Divine!

Kat

ChaChaneen said...

Dahling, keep purrrrring your french, I think I've got my finger on it now!

I heard our hostess with the mostest, Muse has a problem with her passport. A little birdie told me it was a forgery! Beware of her....

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on you to not tell my secret.
And can't you leave that sack of cards behind for a change..so weird at lunch, spreading them out that way!

Nihal said...

Hi Marie,
What a lovely inspirational post dedicated to the mystique adventure of L'Orient Express. I'm just impatiently for your arrival at final stop in Istanbul:) Then we'd take some rest at chic, the legendary Pera Palace hotel.
Oh in the meantime, I'm so pleased you paid a visit to my little space. Your lovely comment was over everything. I'd like to present you heart-shaped box of chocolate while celebrating your Women's Day -just in happy, merry and lovely.

Kindest~

5th Belle Avenue said...

I guess their chocolate pudding is so yummy it has its own category!! Makes me definitely want to try it!!

Catherine said...

What a menu ! Let's choose the whole Buffet des Desserts. Maybe chocolate pudding is include.
What am I saying ? When you travel by Orient express, you can afford both.

Chris Overstreet said...

Chocolate pudding definitely deserves to stand alone. Of course, it might be the language barrier: Yanks call pudding "pudding", whereas Brits call all dessert "pudding".

dmarks said...

They may have served chocolate from the menu as an order, and not had it on the buffet with the other desserts.

Daryl said...

Will there be a murder?

Debby said...

Bill Cosby thinks that chocolate pudding should always get a separate mention.

Pietro Brosio said...

Très joli, Marie! Les cartes postales, le baiser de la Gare de l'Est, le fantastique menu, la crème au chocolat...
Bonne soirée!

soulbrush said...

senita is still crying in the bedroom, joe is as drunk as a skunk and the quads are screaming...help.....

Starman said...

Gare de l'Est hasn't changed at all.

Lavinia said...

That menu is still delectable today, but I *do* hope there is some vinaigrette for the lettuce!

Tea Time With Melody said...

We missed you at tea with the ladies, the views were marvelous and the conversation grand.

dmarks said...

Daryl: Will there be a murder? Of course there will be. Death by chocolate, of course.

Eddy said...

I belived that going to Istanbul, it was necessary to take an airplane now ?
But I prefer going to Turkey same Hercule Poirot, by train, and with the same Orient Express menu (with chocolate isn't it ?) ;)

Marie Reed said...

dmarks - there might be a murder too if I don't get any dressing on my salad! pffff...lettuce!

ChaChaneen said...

Nope, nope, it wasn't me! I was locked in my room and couldn't call out! I swear I didn't hit on over the head! Dahling Marie, I'm buying drinks for everyone~ meet us in the dining car. Let's put a cold compress on your forehead.

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

I'm with you. I much prefer bumpy fish. What were they thinking??

G R Collia said...

Hey Marie,

Someone was kind enough to give me my first blog award today for one of my blogs, and I have to pass it on to ten people who have a great attitude... so, for having such an interesting blog and being so cool, I'm passing the blog love to you:

http://ginacolliasuzuki.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-got-my-first-blog-award-and-now-im.html

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Marie, my lush bed is beckoning, but before I turn in, I wanted to say thank you for helping make the adventure on the Orient Express so memorable! I'm a bit uneasy about a murderer still on the loose, although it may have been the coffin which slid off the train. Hopefully, Mssr. Poirot will be up the night solving the crime!
Bonne nuit! And keep the lights on!
;)

ChaChaneen said...

A toast of champagne to you dahling! (glasses tink) It's been a magical day and it wouldn't have been complete if you hadn't come, I'm glad you you were there! Your translations were the best and boy there were some doosies! My favorite was the one Sparky sent you about passing the salt. ha ha

I had so much fun today! I look forward to our next bloggy adventure with you my beautiful friend! Have a great day!

Lydia said...

I have a romantic fixation on The Orient Express! This was great for escape and dreaming......

inmode said...

this is like a dream..glad you invited me to go on the journey :)