Cute as a Button - Expression Explained:)

vintage postcards

Are buttons really CUTE? The word 'cute' was originally a contraction of the word 'acute' which means bright or clever. At first the expression was 'bright as a button' ..... polished brass buttons are quite shiny:) It all makes sense now! The expression and the word have certainly evolved over the years. This vintage postcard boy certainly fits the current definition of cute!

Be sure to join in the idiom fun at Heaven in Belgium!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

30 cool cats commented:

Eddy said...

This poscard looks like an ancestor of a photography on scrapbooking.

Marie Reed said...

The frame of the card in from Piknik.com . They have a new fancy collage feature that I am addicted too!

claude said...

My post in on line Marie !

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Adorable baby! Thanks for the word origin. I always wondered why they said that.:) Also hope you're feeling better.

soulbrush said...

i never knew that, what a strange explanation, acute....mmm...thanks.

Marie Reed said...

Claude posted about mailboxes AND Napoleon! Be sure to go visit her!

Marie Reed said...

@lionmother I am feeling much better even though I still have a fever for some reason!

Pat said...

So that's it! My grandmother always said (of me of course, ha, ha) "bright as a button."

Vodka Mom said...

I always say "cute as a button!!" That was really adorable.

Celine said...

Awww too adorable! :)

Polly Forns said...

That baby IS "cute as a button"! Thanks for sharing.

Betsy Brock said...

Well, see..I'm smarter just for stopping by today! :) Who would have known! Happy St. P day!

Catherine said...

I love how one did baby's hair at that time.
A beautiful modern-vintage postcard.

ChaChaneen said...

Yea I heard your voice! Yahoo! Then I couldn't get into my blog. ha ha Oh the joys of figuring out all this techno stuff! Gotta run and get breakfast made, I'm going to be so late today but it's all been so fun! Thank you for your help!

Daryl said...

So cute .. like a button! tee hee!

Sparky said...

Hey you're back! YAY! The world is spinning in greased grooves again.

The postcard is cute as a button.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig (Gaelic for Happy St. Patrick's Day)! ♥ ∞

Starman said...

Are you sure that's a boy?

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how expressions evolve. You wouldn't yet hear "cute as a button" in the UK, but that meaning for cute is creeping in. Cute used to mean crafty, as in "cute as a fox". Words fascinate me almost as much as postcards! :)

lorhen82 said...

I love finding out how expressions originated. Thanks for the info! ~Lori

Mark said...

I love this kind of trivia, thanks for sharing!

claude said...

No Marie Larry did not bring with him this US mailbox from America. I bought it in Le Mans in a big shop Leroy-Merlin several years ago. The number is the date of the day I met my Chéri 22 June. I glues on a side the letter of our name.
This morning in looking at a book about our city I found an old postcard. I will post it later.

claude said...

Me again Marie ! I am very sorry but this morning I had no time to translate my post in english.I

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of random trivia. Everyone around me is going to be hearing 'bright as a button' today. ;) [Popping over from SITS]

Pietro Brosio said...

Beautiful and interesting postcard!

Anonymous said...

Bright as a button! How cute. ;)

Diane said...

i love all the little lessons you guys pass on with the postcards! i feel like i can go on jeopardy now! lol!

as for the postcard itself - i love the colors! very spring!

Laila said...

That's an interesting story behind the quote :-) Really cute postcard too!! :-) I learn alot by reading your blog.

twinkle teaches said...

Adorable!!!
:) tina

MaygreenFairies said...

Ohhhh I'm so glad I found your blog, I adore vintage images and as an Altered Artist I have a whole library of images from Victorian & Edwardian images up to around 1940s. I shall definitely follow your blog, it's wonderful. Mandy x

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Adorable baby and I love the embellishments!