Transantlantic Steamer 'Paris'

vintage postcards

The Youtube video is a hoot! It's short and has a VERY funny twist at the end!

The Paris was a 34,369 ton French ocean liner built in 1913 for the Compagnie Transatlantique. The champagne bottle busting maiden voyage was a post World War I event of 1921. That's quite a delay!

The Paris was the first steamer to have square first class stateroom windows as opposed to those unposh portholes:) Telephones were also an added luxury in select rooms. It was a floating bit of France itself!


16 cool cats commented:

twinkle teaches said...

Tagged you!
http://mommycomplex.blogspot.com/2009/03/tag-is-fun.html
Only if you have time...
tina

claude said...

I did not kwnow the existence of this ship.
The video is really funny. I always try to improve my english everyday and my german too but not often !

Pat said...

Never heard of this one. I took Le France from Le Havre to NYC in 1973 --wooooo---eons ago, and it was fabulous. I ate my way across the Atlantic.

Marie Reed said...

Wow Bibi! That sounds just divine! I'll have to look into that:) The boys would go crazy for a trip like that.. me too!

Catherine said...

I absolutely love you posts; They're a whole story.
A memory of an old luxury time, of our past glory.
The video is a gem. Sometimes,in english, I wonder if I'm not off topic myself !

Daryl said...

Fun as always ..

Did you get a package via Fedex?

Anonymous said...

I can't help thinking those old ships were so very much more elegant than present day cruise ships. Love the video!

Sparky said...

I can't imagine traveling from one place to another on a ship. At least they had telephones. That one cruise we did in Hawaii last year 'island hopping' was enough to cure me of ever wanting to be stuck on a ship again. [shudder] The YouTube was very funny. :o) Wait until you see mine I'm posting tomorrow for PFF. [giggle] ♥ ∞

Eddy said...

You are lucky to possess a postcard of "Paris" liner when we know that it has been burnt in 1939in a dock of "Le Havre" 3 years before the "Normandie" liner.
Fortunately, it remains poscards to remember that.
Thank you, Marie, for this moment of shipping history.

Linda said...

Thanks for making me smile. Blessings

Starman said...

Love the commercial!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Cphail Fans,
For those of you who may not have noticed there's a little green Technorati button on the lower right of the page.
If you're a blogger, you may not know this but you can also leave a little mini-review on her Technorati site! Here's what I said:
"Quirkiness Personified
I collect vintage postcards as a sideline to my genealogy/family history blog so I regularly visit hundreds of postcard sites. I'm recommending Cphail Vintage Postcards because of the very original (and usually funny) ways in which blogger Marie Reid combines postcards with history. Especially worth a visit for POSTCARD BUFFS and those looking for ideas on how to use images on FAMILY HISTORY sites."
Evelyn in Montreal

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

I mist be tired. It sounded like they were speaking French!

Eddy said...

Hey Marie, i found, in my collection, a poscard of the "Paris" liner...

MuseSwings said...

Hilarious!

Paula & Skip said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and nearly fell over all the Easter eggs. What a delightful blog, I am surely will pass by again. A bien tout