Postcard Friendship Friday - Easter Bells

vintage postcards

French children don’t look for eggs left by an Easter Bunny… rather, the kiddies believe that bells fly to Rome to see the Pope. After the Papal soirée the airborne ding-dongers head back bearing chocolate eggs and other goodies! (I am completely serious) I just bought a big package of foiled covered chocolate Easter bells! Yummy:)



New to Postcard Friendship Friday? Welcome!! Go read this to get started:)



45 cool cats commented:

steviewren said...

Hi Marie, I've been meaning to jump in and join postcard Friday for a couple of weeks. My entry will be up and available first thing Friday morning. Isn't friendship grand!

Mescrap said...

Such a sweet dreamy postcard :)

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

You've solved a mystery for me - here in Montreal we usually buy children one large chocolate Easter surprise. When I was a child the traditional shapes were a bunny or a hen/chicken. When I lived in Italy as an adult it was a large chocolate egg. I always wondered what a bell ahd to do with Easter.

Betsy Brock said...

Seriously? I've never heard that tradition! I don't think they sell chocolate bells over here, do they? I've never seen them....just lots and lots of bunnies and eggs!

Postcardy said...

I think the French postcards are so interesting because they are so different from the American ones.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love this! I am going to try this next Friday. Interesting factoid about the Easter bells. I had no idea. It actually makes as much sense as bunnies and chicks but not nearly as cute :-) Pam

Peldyn said...

Yes! I do remember this tradition. I lived in Germany for 6 years and had a friend who was French. Of course any excuse for chocolate is good (grin)

Polly Forns said...

Wow, that is ALL news to me....never heard any of that tradition before but makes perfect sense! thanks for the tidbit of knowledge

Anonymous said...

that's interesting to know! so in france, easter is an event that...rings a bell! hehe. :)

ChaChaneen said...

Happy PFF my lovely and beautiful friend! I hope your doing and feeling great today.

Cute tradition you all have there in France for the chocolate bells! Yummy to chocolate in any shape! Have a lovely day!

Chris Overstreet said...

Mmm, chocolate.

I saw this card and had a flash in my mind of a scrap metal junkyard. I wonder if that hook is magnetized?

claude said...

In my childhood, when we are in the countryside (in our vacation house) My Grandpa took a great plesaure to be the bells !!!
His other joy was to look at us looking for the eggs, chickens or fishes in chocolate. A great memories !

Anonymous said...

It's mainly eggs and bunnies in England for Easter. Bells I think would be considered to be for Christmas.

Pat said...

I remember Easter bells, but still prefer chicks and rabbits. Don't you just want one of those marshmallow Easter peeps to streeeetch?

Lydia said...

This is one of my favorite postcards yet, and an amazing bit of information on French tradition,too!

You know that I am an unofficial member of PFF because my postcards are posted on Wednesday!

Be happy, be well, be Spring-y!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear Marie,

I didn’t know at all this very interesting French tradition! But this must be the original/catholic way of celebrating the Easter, isn’t it? And “Chocolate Easter Bells” is certainly another example of French creativity! :-)

Have a wonderful day,

Best regards,

Vodka Mom said...

that was fascinating! I love your stuff- Marie.

have a fantastic weekend! I'm off to look for that press pass!!

xoxox

MuseSwings said...

The thing is, I'll believe just about anything for some good chocolate!

Linda said...

Now, listen, didn't you know that the Easter Bunny buys her eggs from the market? (rofl--my last weeks card, I think)

You have such nice cards, Marie. Blessings

Irene said...

What an interesting story. I can't post about Easter yet, we are still Winter here. Spring and Easter seem so far away.

Catherine said...

whether bells, fishes, hens or eggs, all chocolate shapes suit me.

Daryl said...

What are these Bells made of? Chocolate?

Marie Reed said...

Happy PFF everyone!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I never knew there was such a thing! Chocolate bells? Who knew!

Another stellar post from you, Marie!

Margo said...

Hi Marie!Hi. I didn't get my act together early enough to post this Friday, but I'll post next week. I love the bell tradition and the thought that if a child got up in the middle of the night, all the bells would be gone.You couldn't make stuff up that was any more interesting. The postcard is so pretty as well. Have a great weekend.

Eddy said...

All the chidren are waiting Easter bells "in chocolate".
Parents too !!

SparkleFarkel said...

What a lovely post cardy place! Gotta run, though. *grabs purse and heads for the door* Got to track me down some of those wonderful, foiled Easter bells! (Only those of us who believe in the Easter Bunny can hear them ring!)

Ana said...

mmmm, sounds yummie indeed!
Children dont hunt Easter eggs here, or any of the sort...but its nice to buy some chocolate ones and give it to them...i plan to do it for my students once Easter comes...

HAPPY PFF!

lots of snowy regards! :)

Anonymous said...

Your site makes me feel good. I enjoy coming to see your postcards.

Starman said...

Oh ye of little faith, you didn't wait for the bells to bring back your chocolate.

papel1 said...

Chocolate in any form is good, even bell shapes. Happy PFF. Just got my 2 Easter Postcards up on blog.
Judy

Amy said...

Happy Spring.

Amy said...

On the blog party you do not have to give anything away. I am not going to but just meet new people and that is it.

Sparky said...

Flying bells is no more silly than rabbits hiding eggs!! ha ha ♥ ∞

twinkle teaches said...

I am so ready for Easter!
tina :)

lorhen82 said...

Flying bells...bunnies bearing baskets full of treats...it doesn't matter much to me HOW the chocolate gets here, just as long as it gets here! =)
Hugs,
Lori

Onna Holland said...

Hi, Marie-What a great idea this is!!

I love hearing about the bells and easter-How cool. I love to learn something new. The chocolate bell sounds great-wish I had one right now!!

I just posted my card on my blog http://toddlercraft.net

Femin Susan said...

wow! beautiful postcard.

Paul van Yperen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul van Yperen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul van Yperen said...

Hi everybody,

Thanks to Marie for linking me. I'm sorry I had no time to join you all yesterday.

Iwas too busy with Make A Difference Day (MADD 2009) doing volunteer work. I believe this yearly event is not only taking place in the Netherlands and maybe you know this event too in your country? Here many politicians, the queen, prince Willem-Alexander and princess Maxima take also part; in total almost 50,000 volunteers are doing humanitarian work.

About the postcards of PFF: this is becoming a wonderful weekly event. I also loved the 104-year old pipe smoking mama, which Marie published this saturday. Check it out. Fabulous.

Till next friday, Bob

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Ooh, I LOVE the background on that one!

Anonymous said...

Bells are perfect for just about everything...isn't that right Marie Isabelle...ding dong.

Pamposh Dhar said...

Hi Marie. OK, I'm joining your PFF again, this time on a new blog devoted entirely to travel. (See what you've started? :)) Please do drop by and take a look (http://wanderingpam.blogspot.com).

By the way, I hope you saw - and enjoyed - this Sisterhood Award I gave you (also on the Wandering Pam blog). Bests.

Pamposh

Amy said...

I love the child in this post card.

We are off to see the Easter Bunny...