Japan's Cat Cafés

vintage postcards
Cat cafés are popping up all over Tokyo, Japan! Feline fanciers pay by the hour to sip tea and play with a kitty. Many people simply don't have the time or space to properly take care of a pet. They are flocking to these cafés in order to fill a very base need.



I think this is such a marevelous idea! In France many shops and restaurants have resident pets. My hairdresser has a pooch that sits on my lap and snuggles while I get my haircut! Would you go to a cat, dog, or hamster café if one opened in your town?

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

26 cool cats commented:

Katie said...

What a great idea! Not sure I'd want to come home from a cafe all covered in cat hair though. Unless I could coordinate my outfit and the rental cat like the woman in the top postcard!

Catherine said...

It depends on the odor inside. In our area, there was a "école des chats" (School for cats), a kind of cats refuge. They're happy together, but it smells bad even in the street when you go past the shop.

Pat said...

I think that's a great idea, but I agree with Katie about the cat hair. I'm not a cat person, but occasionally will play with a cat....

People here though do NOT like animals in stores or restaurants! A definite no-no. Not on public transportation either, even caged. There's a service dog law, but there have been cases of unenlightened drivers refusing to let people on with guide dogs. The latter are rarely seen here; guide dogs are expensive and practically non-existent here.

Belinha Fernandes said...

I love cats and dogs.My sister has a 4 year old shar pei.I also like birds!But I am not sure if I would like to have a cat or dog in my lap if I wa sin the hairdresser!!!:)

Margo said...

Would definitely go to one for dogs, but because of bad allergies I couldn't spend too much time in an establishment that allowed cats. When I eat in France at a restaurant, the resident cat is always drawn right to me.... fortunately, I'm okay for a little while as long as I don't pet him or get scratched! A whole place full of cats sounds like a nightmare! I would like it if more places in general were dog friendly here in the US. Dogs seem more sociable and it could be fun.

steviewren said...

I'm not a pet person so I probably wouldn't care about petting them, but I would enjoy watching the pets interact with other people while I sipped a drink.

Isn't it sad how our modern lifestyles have robbed us of the simple pleasures?

Beth Niquette said...

Many of our small towns here in Oregon have establishments where a single cat or dog have rule. Mostly they are small antique shops. It is such a delight to be met at the door by a well-mannered cat or dog who plainly is delighted to have some company.

ChaChaneen said...

I probably would because my children want a pet in a BIG way! ha ha That would take care of their fix!

dmarks said...

I'm game for anything except a giant hissing cockroach cafe.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I have four cats and two dogs, so I am used to carrying a lint getter with me. I don't know if cafe and cat go together though. I wouldn't want to be eating at my own table with my own cat strolling around my food! I know many shops that have a resident pet, but not any that serve food. I think I would pass. Sad, though, that they have to "rent" animal affection.

angelandspot said...

I think it would be fun. But I do also feel bad for those with allergies that couldn't go to the place. Wouldn't it be fun if I could bring my dog or a chicken to dinner with me? There is an old book store about 45 min. from here I go to sometimes that has a resident cat and they serve coffee there but it is a very rare find around here.

Daryl said...

Its an odd choice .. cats are not always up for a cuddle .. they unlike dogs tend to want to do what they want to do not what you want .. I know this being owned by 2 such cats ... AND here in NY such a place would not exist because animals and food are not permitted in the same shop .. tho I always wonder how the Green Grocer was able to have a store cat .. umm .. could it be only dogs are not permitted in shops selling food ...

Ken Mac said...

cats are not like dogs, I would think they would get tired of all the affection after a while no?

claude said...

In France thery are some care center for cats and dogs when their masters are on vacation.

Marie Reed said...

I'm on my way to Germany tomorrow:) I'll still be checking blogs though! I'm so addicted:)

Shey said...

I prefer dogs because they're cuddly. I agree on the "odor" factor. If they clean it up frequently, maybe I'd go.

By the way, have a fun trip in Germany!

Belinha Fernandes said...

:)Miau!!Yes!We did blog about cats!!I like small cats,I can watch them play for hours!:)Right now I am working on a collage of a cat too.But this one has boots and feels very bad because just killed a fish...

Starman said...

How about an alligator café? Petting allowed.

Pietro Brosio said...

What fine postcard, with that cute white kitty.
I'd certainly go in a Cat Café as I like cats. And to think cats lack the sweet taste, as they have not taste buds for sweet!

Leah Kleylein said...

I love this idea!!! I've been to several libraries that have resident cats - it makes a business so much homier!

lorhen82 said...

I'm not crazy about mixing the pets with eating, but since I don't have any of my own, I would love to go someplace to play with them.

Jane said...

Since I can't have pets in my apartment, this sounds like a great idea!

Postcardy said...

I have 2 cats. I think I'd rather see cats in places like bookshops.

Sock Monkey said...

Monkeys rule!

xoxo
Sock Monkey

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

What a beautiful picture of the woman with her cat. Her expression is so hopeful. Wonder what she's looking at.:)

That's a great idea for someone who lives with a person who's allergic to cats. They should have a locker room with showers so you could wash your body and hair and change your clothes completely before you go home.:)

Lex said...

What a great idea! There used to be a pub where I lived that had a resident cat called Stella.