Notre Dame de Paris in an Easter Egg

vintage postcards

Crack! Notre Dame is peeping out of this Easter egg:) Did you know that city planners wanted to tear Notre Dame de Paris down during the Early 19th century? It's unimaginable but true. It was a crumbling edifice that seemed to close to ruin to be saved.

Victor Hugo penned The Hunchback of Notre Dame with the intent of sparking interest in the Cathedral's heritage. He helped raise funds for its restoration!

View more Notre Dame cards here.


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

24 cool cats commented:

claude said...

Why not !
Notre-Dame is the heart and soul of the City.
An old President of our Republic wanted to destroy the Eiffel Tower.
I like very much this card.

Marie Reed said...

Claude - Isn't it unusual? They should have torn down that meta monstrosity:p

Eddy said...

Thank you for this moment of history of Paris.It's unimaginable to think this monument could have been destroyed.
I live in Paris and I love it.

Marie Reed said...

You are lucky to live in Paris Eddy! I live about two hours away .... nestled in my little Saint Fargeau:)

Geralyn Gray said...

I love that card....to think a building of that size and artistry could be as fragile as an egg to the people at different times. I was amazed when I read that anyone would want to tear down history.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

It would have been a travesty to destroy such an amazing and historical structure! I live in the U.S. but love all things of Paris! Lovely card!

Anonymous said...

I'm about to commit sacrilege, I know, but I'm not overly impressed with Notre Dame except when viewed from the river bank on winter's day against a bright blue sky. I must prefer La Sainte Chapelle, or the cathedrals at Reims or Chartres. I know I'm in the minority. :)

Celine said...

I didn't know that!
How interesting!

Pat said...

I cannot absolutely imagine Paris without Notre-Dame. Its destruction would have been awful and unforgiveable.

ChaChaneen said...

Oh this card is lovely!!! I like, I like!

Pietro Brosio said...

I like a lot this card! So fanciful and beautiful!
I think to destroy Notre Dame would have been a terrible nonsense, a dreadful catastrophe.

Starman said...

Notre Dame only became prominent because of Hugo's campaign to restore it. At the time of the planned destruction, it was being used mostly as a place where girls danced on tables and drunken men sought more than just a dance or two.

MuseSwings said...

Tear down Notre-Dame?!? I'm glad I missed that news!

Catherine said...

A little renovating, and this elegant Dame found an eternal youth ! How many pictures a day are taken ?

Marie Reed said...

Happy Saturday everybody!

Starman is right. During the French Revolution the Cathedral had a cabaret like atmosphere. Statues were destroyed and dance shows were performed on the alter!

I just had Moussaka for dinner.. it was interesting.. I think that I put to much cinnamon in it:)

marie6 said...

at least hugo's campaign was fruitful!

Tomate Farcie said...

Destroy the Eiffel Tower? Tsk, tsk... the whole world would probably revolt if anyone even suggested to do this now.

I didn't know they wanted to destroy ND. That would have been size. Every time I go back, I am always shocked by the size of the monument, what it must have taken to build it.

Marie, thank you for your visit and comments on my blog!

Anonymous said...

So charming..I love Notre Dame de Paris. Funny coincidense, today I posted about Notre Dame de Senlis!
Small world...

Mescrap said...

Notre Dame is one of finest architectural in the world.

Sparky said...

I don't understand these folks that want to tear down historical monuments! Did you know there was some fellow that wanted to fill the Grand Canyon with refuse!!?
Well, I'm glad that both the Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower were saved from the wrecking ball.
Have a great weekend! ((Hugs)) from rainy Georgia pal ♥ ∞

Betsy Brock said...

France wouldn't be the same without Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower! What were they thinking? :)

SILVER said...

hi girlfriend!

I've got a surprise waiting for you at my FOOD BLOG. Do check it up when you're back online ok?

hugs!

Laila said...

What a gorgeous post card! We went to Paris last fall and the Notre Dame was hands down my very favorite place there.

Now I'm going to explore the rest of your Notre Dame postcards ...

(I've found your blog to become very addicting ;-))

Anonymous said...

What an amazing blog, I love the vintage cards and the tid bits of info that are posted along...