Sleeping in a Closet? - Lit Clos Vintage Postcards

vintage postcards
Yep. These women are sleeping in a closet. It is COLD in Brittany.
The thick doors protected sleepy heads from from the whipping winds of the Atlantic coast.


The chestnut beds called 'Lit Clos' were often intricately carved with a ship wheel motif. The Breton’s livelihood was very tied to fishing and shipping:)

I think that I would like to sleep deep inside a box.
Far away from light and the ticking of the clocks.
For some added privacy, I'd install some locks.
When it's time for breakfast, the chef just simply knocks!

View more 'lit clos' vintage postcards here:)

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS


26 cool cats commented:

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi Marie...love the post card!
Could you please stop by my blog soon??????
:)

Joe Narvaez said...

That's a bit creepy... but I still like it hehe.

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Wow!! Beautiful armoire!! My mom's cousin, who is a few years older than my mom, told me that when my mom was born her "bed" was one of the drawers in a dresser... WOW!! That reminded me of the postcards you have hear... Have a nice week!! -- Leesa

Jayme said...

Interesting post - I like sleeping in cozy places. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to have friends in far-away places.

soulbrush said...

some days i wouldn't mind hiding/sleeping in a box...must feel quite cosy.

ayamlin said...

Hello marie!
It's been a while.
How have you been?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Goodness - the early bunkbed? :)

Tess Kincaid said...

I've always thought those sleeping closets were so magical!

Catherine said...

After that, every inhabitant of Brittany will tell us that it isn't cold in their area : )
Here the proof !

Thanks to share these postcards.

Geralyn Gray said...

So glad to find you via Jodie LeJeune....since I recently returned from a trip to Paris and the main souvinirs I bought was post cards I was thrilled to see your site and will pop back over. The Hello Kitty is great

Anonymous said...

It's ok when you are single...
The Scots have/had a similar system. Draft free and quiet has much to commend it.

Geralyn Gray said...

I wish I had met you before, too......Next time---there will be a next time! It would be great to do a postcard collector tour. I did pretty good.....but, my dollar wasn't going very far.

Globetrottingbride said...

Wow, that's amazing. I don't know if I'd be able to fall asleep in there! BTW, I tagged you with an award today on my blog. Enjoy!

Sparky said...

Now that's interesting! I never knew about this. I'll never look at my closet the same way again ... [lol] ♥ ∞

Pietro Brosio said...

I would not be able to sleep there!...
Fantastic postcards!

Daryl said...

I can sleep anywhere .. but I dont want the covers tucked in please ...

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Warm and cozy...and you won't have someone stealin' your blankies! These are fabulous!

Starman said...

The lady on top must have rather long legs.

Leah Kleylein said...

Beautiful!!! The carving is so wonderful, you just don't see things like that anymore!

michael bird said...

Very nifty postcards and the stories that go along with them.

ChaChaneen said...

Wow, that is beautiful! I've never seen anything like that before. Kind of reminds me of a large hutch cabinet for storing dishes or something. ha ha

Ming said...

That makes me think of sleeping on a train!

Pat said...

I kind of like this idea. I think I'll stuff myself in my closet tonight. When I first got Bibi, I found her in there sitting on a pile of my old jeans.

Unknown said...

OMG I would be so clausterphobic in a bed like that!

~S

"Sunshine" said...

Odd, but really cool :)

Anonymous said...

These are THE BEST!