Postcard Friendship Friday - R2D2 Mailbox

vintage postcards
New to Postcard Friendship Friday? Welcome!! Go read this to get started:)


An R2D2 mailbox... I'm speechless.... This is an official United States Postal Sevice mailbox! How cool is that?

37 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

Happy PFF - Perfect Flapjacks Flipping!

Leah Kleylein said...

I've seen these in real life - they are just as cute!!!!

Marie Reed said...

Leah! You are such a lucky thing! I'm pea green with envy!

Catherine said...

Official !!?
I would appreciate that our Post services have as much humour as in the U.S. People would write again instead of sending email and sms !
So funny.
Happy Frienship Friday.

Sparky said...

That would be so much fun to own. Even though we live in the country, it would be a big hit I'm sure!

It was fun listening to your voice. Thanks for sending the Voicemail. Hope you got mine in return. It's short this time 'cause I didn't know what to say. :o) Next one will be longer. ♥ ∞

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I LOVE this - I'm a big Star Wars fan. In fact I actually use the Star Wars movie in my classroom. It's one of the ways that I teach my students about good values such as heroism.
I'm going to show this to them!
Evelyn

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

c3po is the BOMB! Much less annoying than those eewoks.

Postcardy said...

Are any of these still around? I just tried looking them up, and it seems like some mailboxes were wrapped with R2D2 decals for a promotion in 2007.

angelandspot said...

Interesting. I have never seen any of those and I live in the US.

Betsy Brock said...

For real? How fun is that! We have boring plain ones.

ChaChaneen said...

Now that is FUN! I'm never disappointed in the new things you find. Happy Friday Marie!!

papel1 said...

I just have the regular boring mail boxes in my town.
Judy

MuseSwings said...

I'll be posting! I took that cute Postcard Friday picture to put in my margin. I hope that's ok with voux!

Pat said...

Ooops---I see my name is on your list twice... Anyway, come see ymy Serbian mailboxes today I LOVE THIS r2d2 one.

Lydia said...

Happy PFF to one and all. Believe me, I think it's a miracle that this mailbox hasn't been sawed off at the feet by thugs in the middle of the night! It sure is cool.....and I hope it is safeguarded by midnight jedis!

Four-eyed-missy said...

I laughed so hard at your PFF meaning!
Wow, I have never seen a post box like that before! I guess it is a great way of attracting people to write mails the traditional way :) Does it light when you shove the envelope in its slot? I hope it doesn't bite though *lol*

Postcards Crossing

claude said...

In my small hamlet the mailbox looks like the one posted by Catherine.

RA said...

Hi Marie, this blog carnival is really interesting. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I have linked my post here. Best wishes :)

Eddy said...

I did'nt know in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker mailed some letters to Darth Vador by R2D2 !!

Anonymous said...

What fun! There are many different types of letter boxes in the UK (depending on their age), but they are all red and roughly the same.

Fio said...

What a fantastic blog! Why I've discovered it only now?!
Greetings from Poland :)

Vodka Mom said...

That is a fantastic mailbox!! Happy Friday!!

dmarks said...

I actually blogged about one of these in 2007:

click here for my old R2-D2 mailbox post.

Today, I am frying fish postcards on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I've seen this somewhere. My brain is not working yet. I'm headed to Disneyland this weekend to take some pix of their mailboxes. Have a great day!!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I posted one today. My first. I've seen one of the star wars mail boxes in downtown Chicago. I think it isn't there anymore. I wish I'd taken a picture.

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, that mailbox is interesting: it seems a robot or a slot machine or something like that. Of course, nothing to do with the ancient ones! :-)

claude said...

Marie, you like mailboxes but do you know the village in the Loiret Department (45) St-Martin d'Abbat ?
A lot od people have decorated their letterbox.
You can search in google.

MuseSwings said...

Just stopped by again after visiting everyone on the list. PFF is fun and I am meeting new bloggers every week too! Love the R2D2 Mailbox!

Paul van Yperen said...

Hello Marie,

This is a great photo, especially for a film lover like me. Good choice for a mailbox, in Star Wars R2D2 also carried special messages.

This postcard Friendship Friday on European Film Star Postcards a very special French icon. Enjoy!

Starman said...

The R2D2 postbox is a good first step. I wonder if it's Post Office official, or if someone took it upon themselves to decorate.

Miss_Yves said...

A very strange and funny mailbox, which seems to come from...star wars!

fortuitous faery said...

yes, these mailboxes existed like 2 years ago! i'm a little sad they retired them!

i'd like to join PFF! please? :) (i'm a friend of sreisaat's and her fellow blogger at miss igorota's blog)

Celine said...

That mailbox is way cool! I love it!

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Do you remember where you saw this mailbox? I've never seen anything like it and I live in the US.:) I love the flipping pancakes. They are so cute!

I was going to look for a postcard I had or a picture for this Friday, but didn't make it. Will try to post one next Friday. I never know what I'll find on this blog!!

Marie Reed said...

Lionsmother - I found the r2d2 mailbox picture on Flickr! I've never seen one in person:)

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

I found a picture that I think is perfect for a postcard. But I'm having trouble figuring out where to put the Linky.:) So go check it out on my blog:

http://barbaraehrentreu.blogspot.com/

I'm going to have to find that picture and find out where it is. Those are so cool. Our mailboxes are just boring navy blue.:)

Ming said...

Oh yeah, those things are super cute. They were all over Boston.