Black Wedding Dress in Bresse

vintage postcards

These are wedding costumes from the Bresse region of France:) I'm not sure if this is the bridal look that I want. Black might not be my colour. We've got a prepared groom on the scene! Did you notice his umbrella? He probably has a swiss army knife in his pocket too.


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

20 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

OOOh, Truffault's "La Mariee etait en Noir" is for real! Not my thing either, nor will it be for my daughter...see MY BLOG today!!!

Pamposh Dhar said...

This one's really quirky, as you describe these cards! The umbrella figures in some wedding ceremonies in southern India too -- perhaps in regions where it rains a lot?? Interesting, huh?

Joe Narvaez said...

How cool! I like the colors. Don't want my bride to wear that though hehe.

Indie said...

My friend and I were just talking about a black wedding!

Our American obsession with white is just cultural, of course. In Japan, a bride wears red, and white is for funerals.

We just assign this arbitrary meaning to the colors, white for virginal (ummm, there are an awful lot of white weddings; may we assume the meaning has relaxed somewhat?) and black for mourning.

In some places it's rude even for a guest to wear black to a wedding because it means you wish ill to the wedding. And it's rude for a guest to wear white because it means they are trying to outshine the bride, a big no-no.

In England it's proper for women guests to wear a hat to weddings.

June said...

Lol think i might wear black if the groom looked that comical lol
FAB FAB image you have there its wonderfully different

High Desert Hooker said...

What the heck is that on her head? A piano stool??

Spök-spök said...

I like the ladies hat!

Indie said...

A piano stool, hahaha! That hat really is "over the top" isn't it?

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

What the heck is her "veil" made with? Weird!

Starman said...

I wonder if the dress color bespeaks of her moral character? She looks so demure.

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Marie Isabelle, what a darkly surprising outfit for such a light hopeful day...I love it that the groom uses an umbrella...a must for all grooms who hope to keep dry on such a dark cloud day. If you don't want to get married...Don't do it! :-) <3

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Marie Isabelle, what a darkly surprising outfit for such a light hopeful day...I love it that the groom uses an umbrella...a must for all grooms who hope to keep dry on such a dark cloud day. If you don't want to get married...Don't do it! :-) <3

ChaChaneen said...

Oh my, this looks terrible! I thought France had fashion first, not fashion last! Whew, they've come a long way baby! ha ha

Sparky said...

Uh, that would not be my look either. To each his own, though, I always say. The bride doesn't always have to wear white. I wore pink at mine. :o)
Did the french also wear wooden shoes back then? Or maybe they just look like that in the postcard. ♥ ∞

Mescrap said...

Yes... I also not prefer black wedding dress.

Vodka Mom said...

Oh Marie- qui est rampant !

xoxox

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Marie! Wear a headdress like that and we can play Ringtoss after the ceremony! I bet your boys would love it!

Leah Kleylein said...

what a great hat!! think of all you could store up there to keep your hands free and your purse light!

Tess Kincaid said...

Piano stool is right, or maybe a lamp?

Rosie said...

This is abslolutely wonderful.
I am not sure if I told you before but I adore fashion plates and have several of them...