When Cows Fly!

vintage postcards

Meet Nelly Jay! She was the first gutsy Guernsey cow to fly and be milked in an airplane! She flew first class in the International Aircraft exposition at Saint Louis in 1930.


She was put to work in flight. The lactic traet was bottled, sealed, and parachuted down to the thirsty crowd! Charles Lindburg was a spectator who gulped down the milky air mail!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

61 cool cats commented:

Gattina said...

OMG ! poor cow, I didn't know that, hahaha ! what a stupid idea, but efficient !

Terry said...

WOW Marie
This is fantastic a flying cow :)
I never heard this before .
This was a great post.
I really enjoyed reading it.
Oh my there is always so much to learn when it comes to history and
crazy stunts for publicity.
The more things change the more they stay the same.
Have a blessed week.
happy hugs

Unknown said...

What about the cow that jumped over the moon rhyme? So, fly cow, fly!
Nice dance there on the postcard.

magiceye said...

wow! amazing!

claude said...

This doent not laugh. Certainly she does not enjoy her dancer.

RA said...

I don't know how you come up with all these interesting facts. Great post, Marie! Have a wonderful week :)

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Well I'll be Marie...I didn't know that!!! What a way to start my Monday laughing!!!!
Have a great week,
everything vintage

Jane Hards Photography said...

I thought I lived on the maddest island in the British Isles. I take it back. I'm bored with photography I need to get into postcards, it's truly barking.

Pat said...

Wonder if she was a descendant of the 'cow that jumped over the moon'!

oOH! Just now read that Keats the Sunshine Girl said the same thing!

Angie said...

LOVE the stamp and the story!!!

Becky K. said...

What a fun piece of history.

Who knew?

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog. It is very innovative, fresh and interesting. Thanks for sharing. I liked the You Tube videos, too.

Knitty said...

What an interesting story and a very appropriate title to your post.

Miss_Yves said...

I know the first stamp... and I know a norman beach where Lindhberg landed !
Some informations later, if you want ;
Do you want to play with me and some bloggers ? The rule will be on my blog later: you write a text to explain 6 things which make you happy !

Lisa said...

Love the cows!
happy Blue Monday!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting post. I come to your blog to learn a little bit about history....which I am really poor at.

I will never look at a post card the same way again....I will always wonder what story it tells.

Thanks Marie!

Catherine said...

Would we have an odd idea like this one, nowadays ? I don't think so.
That's just like stroking an aligator ?

Anonymous said...

Oh funny funny story, flying cow, LOL! Happy Pink Saturday; ) Belated but still sincere! Also, happy Blue Monday. I am participating by default, LOL. So many colors, so little time; )

For my part, I'm finishing 2 tissue cozies today and shipping one out that I sold. Then it's on to upgrading my DeStash site, re-writing my Faerie Tales and on and on. Yep, I do love to be productive. Talk to you soon, Have a great week,

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
MaidenShade.com

♥peachkins♥ said...

This is a very cool entry..
Happy MYM!

Valerie said...

Great post! I especially loved it b/c I am a former St. Louisan.

Happy Blue Monday,
Valerie

Barb said...

Wow....Happy Blue Monday.

Barb

Sally in WA said...

Interesting post about the cow. What a stunt that must have been back in the day. Thanks for sharing.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Interesting; but that poor cow!! Happy Blue Monday.

Blessings,
Sandi

Unknown said...

You just have the coolest , obscure stories!
Cheers , Helen

Patti Edmon Artist said...

what a cool story! love the post card too:)

Pyzahn said...

I'm proud that St. Louis has a rich heritage, but I never knew about the lactating cow!!!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Up in the air! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Bessie the amazing flying cow! LOL!
Enjoy your day!

Barbara said...

Hello Marie, What a wonderful surprise to find a comment from you in France. I love your blog and you are a beautiful young lady. Thanks for coming by and please come again/

Monica said...

Things you can learn by reading blogs! This was a fun entry. Have a great week.

Daryl said...

LOVE that stamp .. I would love a poster of it .. its so pretty and fun

Amy said...

I have always heard when pigs fly not cows.

Unknown said...

That's a great story, Marie!!

VioletSky said...

Oh those crazy '30s!!

Fifi Flowers said...

Cows are soooo ADORABLE!

Dragonstar said...

What a fun post! I never knew of this, so I'm really glad you told us.

Unknown said...

What a very cool, cow stamp !!!

Interesting story as well. They sent the milk down by parachute ... how funny !! The containers obviously must have made a soft landing if CL had a cahnce to gulp some down :-)

SmilingSally said...

Cute. Happy Blue Monday!

Unknown said...

Guess it goes to show that anything is possible. Who knows, tomorrow we may even see a purple cow.
Happy Twirls

lorhen82 said...

Or I guess you could say it was dairy air mail...not to be confused with derriere mail! ~Lori

annies home said...

love the vintage postcard mainly because my father was a delivery person

Anonymous said...

moooooootastic!

tapirgal said...

You have such a cheerful and fun site! I visited once before and I enjoyed coming back. I love Google Earth. It's such fund to land on a place on the globe and almost feel like you're there. It's an easy and fast download (usually), so I hope you have a good time with it. Maybe next time I'll visit your town :) I visit Paris via Google Earth quite often, as I fell in love with the city in real life.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Marie, what a delightful postcard. It took a second but I finally found the blue. Happy Blue Monday. I love your blog and will be back soon.

Carol said...

This is a fun post...and a cool yellow stamp...interesting story too...

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Coolest stamp ever!

Hello from SpeedyCat :-)

Jenn said...

I like your flying cow... Happy Blue Monday

prkl said...

Flying cow, LOL! How's dances with cows? Nice one for MYM! You have a great week!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

That dancing cow is hilarious! I must be sick in the head because to me it looks a little dirty lol!

Clueless in Boston said...

I've heard about flying pigs, but never a flying cow. Although one cow apparently made it over the moon; perhaps that one went to the moon with Wallace and Grommit to bring back cheese.

Unknown said...

Hi , thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment!love your blog!

Starman said...

Somehow I doubt that gutsy Guernsey Nelly Jay had a choice.

Susan Cook said...

Very interesting information. Cool cow postcards! Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

What a funny story! Great picture to go with it.

Laila said...

What a great story, I love it. The pics are awesome, love the gray scaled one with the cow & the barn, brings back lots of good memories for me! :)

Flying cows... who woulda thunk it!

twinkle teaches said...

I never knew that...flying cows!
tina :)

Mommy Scart said...

wow this is an interesting entry. thanks for sharing and i love yellow stamp :)

kikamz said...

that is amazing! a cow in the air! and that stamp looked so old! now you reminded me of an entire stamp collection my mother passed on to me that i never got to continue. :((

Connie T. said...

Pretty yellow swim suit.

liza said...

Cool! A flying cow, haha. ;)

Martha said...

Great MYM entry.
Hmmm, When Cows Fly? Is that anything like Swine Flew (flu)?! ;-)

kRiZcPEc said...

looks like the cow printed on that stamp was feeling somewhat awkward...:)