Bathing in Strawberry Juice!

vintage postcards

Does bathing in fresh strawberry juice sound sumptuously sticky? Madame Talien, who was a social figure during the French Revolution, kept her complexion radiant with this messy method of washing!


Twenty-two pounds of crushed strawberries made up the bathwater that went into her tub!


She was arrested and jailed for being the wife of an aristocrat during the French Revolution. Madame flirted her way out of being guillotined. She divorced and became a champion of Liberalism! Maybe strawberries saved her scented neck? I'll stick with my classic bar of Ivory! What kind of soap do you use?

PS. All followers of this blog will be automatically entered into a monthly book giveawy! Come join in the fun:)


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

40 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Hey! I have a strawberry post coming up this weekend!! They're nearly in full season here, and I love 'em. I did have some strawberry soap once, but think I'll pass on the juice on my face.

Keetha Broyles said...

I don't think I want to take a strawberry bath either. I'll settle for shortcake!!!!

Vodka Mom said...

that's an interesting story!! The thought of bathing in strawberries makes me want to scratch....

RA said...

So many strawberries to take one bath seems like a waste! Strawberry cakes sound more reasonable. But then again, what do I know ;). Have a great day, Marie :)

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love strawberries but bathing in them...a bit much. However, I wonder if a nice facial mask would work. No I would probably be too tempted to eat them. Madame Talien sound like one smart cookie...er, strawberry. What a generous give away for followers!

RA said...

I forgot to answer your question about my kind of soap, Marie. I love soaps with the scent of fruits: apple, lemon, melon... Oh my goodness, I just realized that I even bath with the scent of strawberry ;). A facial mask out of strawberries does make sense, like Frippery said. Have I told you that I really like your stories, Marie. Thank you for sharing.

mel said...

Yup, I'd rather eat 'em than bathe in 'em....such decadence!!

We use a liquid Castile soap...:)

bj said...

I laughed so hard when I read your "bathing in strawberry juice" because I just came over from a blogger that has 2 blogs and one is "cooking bacon naked"....all of it together made me laugh..
I have to agree with KEETHA, on that strawberry shortcake.
xo bj

The Clever Pup said...

No, no. Too sticky. Maybe as a mask on the face - Strawberries, I think, contain vitamin C.

Soap for me - Body Shop coconut, as sexy as strawberry. and that tangerine smell I can't remember the word at the moment. Very perky.

I was just given a soap from England's National Trust stores called Bluebell. I'll have to try that next.

Coloradolady said...

Can you imagine bathing in crushed strawberries....talk about itchy....I'm with you, Ivory or my husband likes the blue striped coast soap...which by the way, I think I will stick to the soap too. Cute post! Happy VTT.

Unknown said...

Give me 2 bowls of strawberries to eat, quick!
I use Lux soap to bathe. Special ones are usually prezzies!

Gattina said...

It's amazing that she even took a bath ! Odors were killed with parfums. They only took a bath when sick !
I use a shower gel.

Ivanhoe said...

Strawberry bath? Wow! I prefer my strawberries covered in dark chocolate. Yummy! :o)

Margo said...

Hi Marie, that is how this woman's cheeks are so rosy! I just bought some goat's milk soap from Pricilla at http://www.pricillaspeaks.blogspot.com/ that is the address for her blog, but you can click over to her shop. Very cute shapes, creamy and unique scents (possibly strawberry?) My daughters keep stealing mine!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. bathing with 22 pounds of strawberries.. *yikes*.. wonder how many tonnes need for a week, a month and a year!.. hope the ants didn't come near and bite her.. hehehehe.. happy VTT and have a great day!

jeanne said...

Mmmmmm, a strawberry bath. We might turn red. I love strawberries and I can only say what a waste. She must have been very clever to save herself.
I wonder what charms she used. BIG smile.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I think a strawberry bath would be great with a side of strawberry tea and then I must take a shower to get the stickness off!
I always buy shampoo that smells yumee and also use it as my soap! that makes it fun and different all the time. I have a very special Victorias Secret Body Soap that I only use on weekends when I know I get to be around my husband all day, I like to smell x-tra good for him, he is a sweetie!

Pietro Brosio said...

No strawberry bath for me, thanks!
I use Roger Gallet or Atkinson soaps, they're much better!...
Marie, your new profile image is nice! :-)

Postcardy said...

Surprised she bathed at all. 22 pounds would be only about 1-1/2 gallons, not much for a real bath.

Finally got my FISH Postcard Scavenger Hunt on. Having so much trouble with blogger, Mr. Linky, and even YouTube today that it took me a couple hours just to add and edit a few things!

Daryl said...

Me? I use Dove body wash occasionally and when I dont I use Kiehl's scented body wash ... so far they have pear but no strawberry ...

angelandspot said...

Yum strawberries! But I don't think a bath of them would be any fun. I'd rather eat them with some whipped cream. I like my body wash just fine :)

the wild raspberry said...

in the tub i use dove as well...
but i love a good handmade soap at the sink...lavender especially.
it could be kinda convenient to be bathing in something you can eat--talk about multi-tasking!
chasity

just kidding...that is so gross.
:)

Beth Niquette said...

Strawberries? Really! Perhaps I should make myself a strawberry face wash! Thank you for sharing this wonderful post with it's darling accenting pictures and postcards.

Too cool!

Unknown said...

I luv the strawberry label, got me thinking about a painting.. hmmm birdies and strawberries, could be a cute combination, as for the soap, I use Australian tea tree oil soap, the body loves it, all natural , but no yummy strawberry scent!!
Cheers , Helen

vicki archer said...

I am happy to eat the berries but will pass on the crushing and the bathing! Maybe the little seeds made a good exfoliant. xv

Reader Wil said...

These past few days I have been reading about the French revolution in "The Scarlet Pimpernel".And Talien is also mentioned. It's a pity that all those lovely strawberries were used for bathing. Thank you for telling this interesting piece of history. And for your visit! I am glad the sun is shining again.

Rune Eide said...

Bathing in strawberry juice? Hm....

Brenda Pruitt said...

I read recently something about slicing a strawberry and applying it to facial pores. Can't recall more than that. I love strawberries. However I eat mine on my morning cereal! As for soap, I like Dove Exfoliating bar. I think it has moisturizer in it also.
Brenda
http://cozylittlehouse.blogspot.com
http://viewfromthepines.com

Catherine said...

As I haven't experiment this new way of bathing, I can't tell you.
I like strawberries to eat, but I useky don't like the flavour in perfumes, or drinks.

Debby said...

LOL..I love strawberry shortcake so I think I will stick with that,too much waste for the bath. hehehe..
I love just plain old pure white DOVE soap, so creamy and nice.
debby

annies home said...

I love strawberries but taking a bath in it no way

Stephanie said...

That must have been interesting. I think you would indeed be quite sticky afterwards :)

Thanks for sharing the story!

Stephanie

Susan said...

I might be tempted to try it once. The scent of that many strawberries alone would be heavenly. Oh, and I am a Dove girl.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

lovely! Be sure to swing by the Perfect Palette today to enter our give-a-way! Creative packaging made easy by Garnish!

Shey said...

WOW! Sounds like a delicious bath! But too sticky and messy. :)

Have a happy week!

By the way, please check this link: (Thanks!)

Your Blog Makes Me Smile

sunnymama said...

Wow! I shall never look at strawberries in quite the same way again :)

Unknown said...

This was really interesting! I am not a strawberry fan of any kind. I use Bath & Body Works Vanilla Oatmeal soap. I love how it smells and feels!

Mike said...

Maybe she made the strawberries out to look like blood and faked her own death ;)

Lori E said...

Dove or whatever smells good that day. I keep wondering who that new person is following my blog then I realize you have just changed your little picture again.
Keeping me on my toes.

Janie said...

I'd be afraid the ants would get me if I was covered in strawberry juice. The scent would be nice, though.