"Doll of Wax, Doll of Sawdust"

vintage postcards

Europe is buzzing with excitment! Tonight the famed Eurovison will be aired:) It's a singing contest! Each country picks a representative to sing their heart out and hopefully win. It is the most watched non sporting event in Europe!

This punchy youtube video showcases the 1965 winner France Gall with her song "Poupée de cire, poupée de son" (Doll of wax, doll of sawdust) It's such a catchy ditty!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

36 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Good luck to the French contestant! The Serbian one won two years ago; think it was two....time flies. I'll be watching!

Unknown said...

The last time I watched the Eurovision contest was in UK and that was ages too! May the best win!

Floss said...

I only learnt it was the Eurovision last night! I think I should pay more attention....

bidouic said...

Ah, Ah...
France Gall petite poupée délicieuse chantant les paroles de Gainsbourg sans en comprendre le double sens.

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Wow, that was a little trip back in time:) Very cute and I love the postcard with the doll.:)

I once watched the Eurovision contest when they televised it here. You have to write your own song right?

We had to go to a concert early yesterday and didn't get a chance to post. Will try next week.:)

ilyani said...

wooooooow :D I must say earlier songs were greater! I only knew about Eurovision few years ago from a European friend of course. I'm gonna watch the final tonight, though in my part of the world it means I have to stay up from 2am!
thanks for sharing the video!

June said...

Oh how spooky ... I had just posted my first ever you tube video song ever on my arty retreat and came to have a look at what you were up to and you have posted one too ... mine is an oldie too but not eurovision .. I must watch .. crazy to watch but then i am a little cookie hehe
Hugs June xxx

Gabriela said...

Bon Jour,


Lovely blog! Happy Pink Saturday!


~ Gabriela ~

Irene said...

Oh my, we don't have Eurovision, but you postcard looks a little like Carmi might have when she was a young girl.

Marina Capano said...

Lovely!!! Happy Pink Saturday!!
xoxo

Nancy said...

What a fun video. Love your postcards, too. :)Nancy

Olga said...

Eurovision has changed so much since then...It looks such a teeny tiny cosy contest on this video.. Well, as for me I will support Belarus! (for pure reasons of patriotism of course ;)) Great blog! Come to visit:

http://whereareyouolga.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Olga

Chris Overstreet said...

I had thought that a poupée de son was a soft doll filled with sawdust or wood shavings (as opposed to the doll of wax). Bidouic refers above to the double meaning; France Gall was certainly a puppet of sound for Gainsbourg. What surprises me is that the Eurovision Song Contest has been around so long.

SmilingSally said...

Good morning. Happy Pink Saturday!

Kari Jenkins said...

Oh, I love her song! I cant understand a word of it, but still love it. I wish we could see the contest here!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

How fun! And why do dolls sort of freak me out??

Beverly said...

Marie, I apologize that I did not see your comment about wanting to participate in Pink Saturday until just now. Please e-mail me so I can send you some information about participating. We would love to have you join us.

how_sweet_the_sound@aegisholdings.com

Starman said...

This video looks like it was made in the fifties. I wonder if they've resolved the problems of the last Eurovision. I seem to remember a lot of people were upset because many singers sang for countries in which they did not live.

Jorgelina said...

Happy Pink Saturday!
Love your postcards.

~Cheryl said...

Very catchy tune! Thanks for posting it!

Anonymous said...

So cute. I'm studying French online and I am enjoying your blog. I will put your name in the "pot" for the book as you suggested. If you win, it will be sent to our mom.
C'est moi, Charlotte

Vintage Papers said...

I love your blog...so many fun things here! :)

Sparky said...

That's a cute postcard! :o)

Vodka Mom said...

i loved that clip!

Aimee said...

What a fun little video. I didn't understand a word of it, but it was such a catchy little song!

Dawn said...

Catchy! Happy PS!

Margo said...

I've never heard of this. This song is very catchy. I'll probably wake up singing it.

Loni Edwards said...

Oooh I so wish we could see Eurovision!

Nancy said...

We caught some of it on our Euro channel!

Catherine said...

I didn't even know about this year contest ! I even ignore who has represented France! What a bad TV spectator I am.
On the other hand, I remember this song interpreted by France Gall, and I have been told about the polemic.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Oh, I see. I don't think this is a show we get in the U.S., or at least I haven't heard of it.

Claudia said...

I love all your postcards, Marie! Happy Pink Saturday!

Melly said...

What a sweet postcard, thank you for visiting with me and for your sweet comment. Have a wonderful day!
Melly:)

Beth Niquette said...

Is it something like the USA American Idol contest? How interesting!

Maria Berg said...

Edith Piaff (I do not know how to spell) but that is a good singer

Maria Berg, Sweden

Jeanie said...

Hi, Marie! I love this postcard! I'm commenting on this Pink Saturday post (and thanks for visiting The Marmelade Gypsy, too!) but I love your whole blog! I must return!