The History of Sunglasses

Chinese vintage postcards

I just read that the first 'sunglasses' were worn by Chinese judges in the 12th century. These flat panes of polished smoky quartz were used to hide facial expression while questioning witnesses! Isn't that just fascinating?

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

31 cool cats commented:

Miss Rosa said...

Wow, what a cool postcard ... and quartz as sunglasses? Fascinating!

Unknown said...

Hey judge, let's be transparent! So, no mucking about!!!

sudarshan bengani said...

hoooooooh thank god they used sunglasses and not masks else had that become a trend no-one wouldn`t be knowing one`s face

Maggi said...

That is so interesting! Now they're just fashion, lol.

Sparky said...

I actually knew this one. Before communism, the Chinese were at the forefront of many inventions. Neat postcard! Very unique. :o)

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Totally fascinating Marie!

But...I am in PAIN looking at your little Chinese girl's feet in those hideous shoes they had to wear. Oh it hurts!

everything vintage

Daryl said...

I love odd pieces of trivia like this.. now I must work it into a conversation ..

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello Marie!
The Chinese and the Greeks invented everything!
Great post, congrats!
God bless you
Léia

Margo said...

that is fascinating. I would have never have guessed that. I would have guessed the Norwegians :)

Floss said...

Well, I knew about the origins of glasses, but I never thought about the history of glasses! Intriguing. What a lovey postcard, too. If you have any 'Garden Party' themed postcards, you might be interested in my birthday Garden Party next month - your invitiation is on my blog!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Amazing trivia fact of the day. Glasses I knew sunglasses a whole other story.

Silver said...

ooh..asian lady judge.. a very cute one too.. ;)

Beth Niquette said...

Wow! How would they see to judge what they're judging, if they were wearing glasses which were smokey? I wonder...that is totally fascinating!

Ann said...

you ALWAYS have the most fabulous information..way past trivia...where do you get all your info from? You are just a walking encyclopedia.
love this postcard ..i think i see the pain from her little feet...have you ever seen the pictures of a bound foot unbound..just awful.
thanks for sharing the wonderful postcards and info!

Starman said...

I still think their best invention was pasta!

W. A. Mozart said...

Eyeshades are quite popular here in the 18th century as well. Indeed, I own a set.

Janie said...

Very interesting bit of history. I like the postcard pic, too.

papel1 said...

So interesting that I will think about it when I put on my sunglasses!

Beth Niquette said...

Hello, Marie!

I'm awarding you the Friendship Badge, which I created for those who have been an encouragement to me and to my family.

You can pick it up here: http://bethlniquetteart.blogspot.com/2009/04/blogger-friendship-badge.html

Thank you again. I have so enjoyed your blog, and am happy to announce my Sissy Clytie is starting a vintage card/postcard blog, and I'm going to get her involved, too. (grin)

((hugs)) Thank you!

Zub said...

Nice anecdote about the sunglasses - I never heard about that before, hehe! Nice postcard also I'll add it on my blog and link out to your page. :)

Zub said...

Have you got any other oriental postcards?? lets do a bundle then I can make a neat presentation of it on my blog - if interested let me know thnks! At the same time - can highlight the issue in China right now which my page does as u know through music and stuff. ok blessings. z.

Clueless in Boston said...

I wonder if they could actually see with them.

Roslyn said...

I just love odd, quirky tid- bits of information! My head is stuffed full of them, thanks for adding yet another!

Pat said...

That's probably why some people still wear them when talking to you, even indoors. I hate that! I want to see people's eyes.

Zub said...

ok so link is up! i'm also admin of truth in china blog which has 20,000 views really and it features chinese cultural arts! - but in any case, thank you for mentioning Chinese culture. blessings, z.

JamaGenie said...

Sunglasses to question witnesses! Who would've guessed? Fascinating!

Harold's Daughter said...

I'd wonder how they got the quartz thin enough to make lenses. But thanks for this bit of trivia!

lorhen82 said...

Your blog always makes it fun to learn things I've never heard of before! ~Lori

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great postcard and yes, that is really interesting about the sunglasses. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. :-)

twinkle teaches said...

I love that I learn something new each time I visit! :) tina

Mescrap said...

Such a cool postcard !!!