Spam Wins Wars

vintage postcards
Spam was a life saving tinned meat staple during World War II.



It was the ideal combat ration because it could be shipped easily and didn't have an expiration date! Fresh meat was just difficult to get to soldiers at the front. By mid-war, Hormel was producing 15 million cans of Spam for the troops each week. The soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy, raised the flag, and then ate Spam!

In the United States beef was rationed and expensive. You had to present you war time coupon book in order to get a slab. Spam didn't fall under the same restrictions. It was tooted as a miracle meat. 'Eaten cold or hot, Spam hits the spot!'


Here is the gelatinous Monty Python Spam Sketch. It's Spamtastic! Come join the Ruby Tuesday fun too!




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

50 cool cats commented:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Great tribute to the mighty Spam! I remember Spam as a staple diet in school lunches! Always great!

Unknown said...

SPAM it is! Love the word in this post. Say it , again and again and again!!

Celine said...

Okay maybe it's because it's almost lunch time but those look delish!
I'm just broken I think! lol

Unknown said...

I can't bear Spam but some of my family still eat it as though it's still the only option! Great post!

Robin said...

I've never actually eaten spam (and hopefully never will), but I've always loved that Monty Python sketch.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I can honestly say I have never tried spam. I think I'm good with that.

Jientje said...

I can't hear the word spam without thinking Monthy Python! Love your blog!!
Sure I will add my ruby vintage mailbox post in your Mr Linky on Friday, if that is okay with you!

Auntie E said...

What were we thinking?,lol. Oh yes I ate Span in its' day. Cost less could afford it. funny video. Happy RT

Reader Wil said...

Great video! I like John Spam Cleese and Monty Spam Python!!LOL.
As a matter of fact spam was the first meat we got after the concentration camp, where we were imprisoned from December 1943 to September 1945. We loved it!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful post!

Polly Forns said...

Okay, I will admit it.....I love Spam. Truly!

Betsy Brock said...

I haven't tasted Spam in probably 40 years! I wonder if it's the same.

mel said...

This was great!! I'm a big Monty Python fan so....

I have no recollection of ever eating Spam...thank goodness...but my grandparents still eat something like it from time to time...must be the wartime era thing...

Annie Jeffries said...

What a great post for all things Spam. I remember Spam as a staple in our house. It's still a big deal in Hawaii right up to today. Check this out: http://viamagazine.com/top_stories/articles/hawaiian_food05.asp

Nukke said...

That Monty Python Spam story is so funny so noweven I belive spam was delicious !!!
Thanks for your comment in my pic !
It's always nice to read and see your blog.

Mary said...

I always thought is was rather nasty looking,but had a roommate in college who fixed it up with some barbecue sauce and made it edible. I always love Monty Python!

Maggi said...

Ah Spam...my husband loves it! lol Neato information about it! Makes me feel more kindly to it now, lol.

Daryl said...

I think I will pass on the spam but this is a fabulous post!

Sparky said...

Hey, this sounds like SPAM to me!! ha ha Very funny post. I enjoyed it. :o)

EG CameraGirl said...

I enjoyed this post!

dmarks said...

Free Spam modern postcards are easily availabe. I think I have one or two.

MaR said...

I am a big Monty Python fan, loved that little video and enjoyed reading your SPAM, lol.

Stephanie V said...

Spam memories...the pictures are better LOL

Veronica Lee said...

I love spam ! I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

Mara said...

I wondered about the title: spam wins wars, but I was soon set straight.
Great find!

Starman said...

I used to like Spam when I was a kid. Now...not so much.

lorhen82 said...

Ah...Vikings singing the glories of Spam...what could be better???

We had Spam occasionally when I was a child, but I haven't had it since. I had no idea that it existed outside of the U.S. Once again, I've learned something! ~Lori

Cezar and Léia said...

I was wondering how do you get so many cool information to put in your post!
You have a great talent Marie!
Congratulations!
Léia

photowannabe said...

Delightful S post. We went to a SPAM Jam on Hawaii a few years ago. I never saw so much Spam in my life. Its ok, but not my favorite.
Very original Marie.

Clueless in Boston said...

Great post to a great product, though I wouldn't eat it now -- to many calories and additives. But in its time it was great with gobs of yellow mustard:)

Wiregrass Steve said...

Spam helped win the war? I thought you were going to say they sent it to the enemy troops to send them into total despair.
I can remember eating this wretched pseudo-food as a child. Glad that some like it.

Rune Eide said...

I always enjoyed that one from Monty Python. In addition Spam reminds of the movie and TV-series MASH.

Unknown said...

Love the Monty Python sketch! I'd like to see Spamelot one day.

Laura said...

The best Monty Python skit. Spam no one knows what its made of and no one wants to know =)

When you have a chance stop by and check out our east coast vs. west coast fashionista interviews xoxo

Miss_Yves said...

I love Montyhy Python 's humour !
Nowadays SPAM -spams are not welcome, but rather dangerous in computers (lol)

Maria said...

I love that they now have the "reduced salt." Great post!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE SPAM!
OH SO YUMEEEEEEEEEE
I LIKE TO COOK IT IN A PAN AND BURN IT JUST A BIT AND THEN STICK BETWEEN TWO PIECES OF BREAD AND FILL MY BELLY WITH ITS GOODNESS

Jane Hards Photography said...

I have that bloody Monty Python song in my head now. Did you know they launched a TV campaign in the UK last year to promote Spam again. It just won't go away. Funny unique choice.

Postcardy said...

Spam Museum brochure/postcards on my blog:
http://postcardy.blogspot.com/2007/05/spam-postcards.html

There are a lot of Spam souvenirs available online:
http://www.spam.com/shop/default.aspx

Leslie: said...

Hi Marie, what a great idea for today's S Day! I can remember my mother cooking Spam in the frying pan and coating it with mustard to pretend it was real ham. She'd also make sandwiches out of it. Do they still manufacture it???

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I don't know if I have ever eaten SPAM!

I would like to invite you over to my blog to enter to win a beautiful pendant. Hope to see you there!!

srp said...

I loved the video of Monty Python... I remember that episode... I remember Dad slicing SPAM for breakfast and cooking it up like bacon... sometimes he made split hot dog sandwiches for my brother to take to school. Sometimes you just had to make do with what you had! My entry is late but here.

Margo said...

Great tribute to one of the major food groups. I had a short lived love for spam. It passed.

yyam said...

I love SPAM! Only in this edible form though..:)
Thanks for sharing a little of its history...I really enjoyed reading...:)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post!

I haven't had Spam in years.

Paz

Rose said...

This brings back memories--my mother always kept a couple of tins of Spam in the pantry, and we often had fried Spam for supper. I don't think I'll go out and buy some, though:)

Thanks for a fun post--loved the Monty Python sketch!

Amberpony Creates said...

Thanks for visiting my Blog
I love your old Post cards and the Fun Little History Blurbs

Mescrap said...

Such an informative post !!!
But does the SPAM contain lots of preservative additives as it doesn't have the expired date :p

claude said...

I love veryu much this post Marie !
Thanks to Spam the Us Army won wars.

Pat said...

Do you know there is a Spam cookbook? No kidding. Google it!

vincent PERRAUD said...

very good !!!
See photrom.fr
Leave your comment