Gone Fishin' - Postcard Friendship Friday

vintage postcards


New to Postcard Friendship Friday? Welcome!! Go read this to get started:)




Our vintage postcard chap is proud of a pretty puny fish. I read in National Geographic that fishermen in northern Thailand recently netted a 646 pound (293 kilo) catfish in the Mekong river! It was nearly nine feet long (2.7 meters) and as big as a grizzly bear!


Catfish taste really good. Not in reference to how they taste to us, but rather their ability to taste! Catfish have over 27,000 taste buds. Humans have only 9,000!

PS. All followers of this blog will be automatically entered into a monthly giveaway! Come join in the fun:)




Postcardy's Scavenger hunt theme for the month of May is fish!




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique p


48 cool cats commented:

Veronica Lee said...

We're big fans of catfish! Those pics are cool!
BTW, the plural of bunga is bunga-bunga!

RA said...

Beautiful vintage postcard! I love your informative posts. I always learn something new by visiting you. Have a great weekend, Marie :)

Mandala Michelle said...

MMMM, I love fish on Friday's! Your vintage images are so wonderful. I come here just to window shop!

Margo said...

that is one wimpy looking cat in the first postcard... and the fish too. Will try to get my act together to post for PFF this week! xxx ooo (don't let the xo's freak out the children)

Unknown said...

Lovely post and informative too!
I enjoy visiting your blog.

viridian said...

Hi Marie! No fish, but a moving card for PFF.

Lew said...

Interesting postcards! Thanks for visiting my Window Views.

Chris Overstreet said...

But catfish do taste good to us!

Clueless in Boston said...

I guess if you teach a man how to fish in the Mekong River, he only needs to fish once and he can feed himself and his family forever.

Jen said...

I have never seen a fish that big. Crazy.

D said...

now that's one large catfish!
I enjoyed visiting your blog today. Thanks for stopping by mine!

Four-eyed-missy said...

Yes, the Mekong Catfish grows up to be giants in the Mekong region. A lot of giant catfish was also reported caught by many fishermen in Cambodia.

I'm up today, earlier than usual. Happy head now :)


Postcards Crossing

Robin said...

wow....that's one big cat fish! You’re gonna need a whole mess of hush puppies with that guy. And as for that rainbow trout.....well, a little butter and almonds would do the trick.

Have a beautiful weekend.

ARTERY said...

My good friend ZJ just invited me to join this meme every friday. I think it's cool. I'll join next friday then.

joanne said...

wow..that's a whole lotta fish!! I just love your poscard friendship friday, if I can get my act together I just may join in...fish..;D

Chandy said...

That is one big catfish! Wow! There are a lot of those in the Dallas Aquarium!

MuseSwings said...

You're going to need about 17 lbs of cornmeal and an ostrich egg to bread that catfish for frying! Very fishy post! Love it and another happy PFF, Marie!

Sheila said...

A great card! Possibly his first catch ever, to account for his pride? :)

Terry said...

Wow That is A BIG FISH :)
Love your post .
Thank you for being the best hostess ever !
Can't wait to see all the wonderful postcards .
Happy Postcard Friendship Friday .

Lydia said...

Interesting postcard and great photo (is that the actual catfish caught in Thailand?). I wonder how old that champ was.....kinda sad that it's time swimming the Mekong is over. :(
My postcard posted on Wednesday, as usual!
Happy PFF to one and all.

Pearl said...

One Fish...
Two Fish...
Red Fish...
Ewwwwwwwwww Fish...

That Monster just sends shivers down my spine! LOL
As always, Marie... a Terrific post!

~blessings~
Pearl

claude said...

Oh, my ! What a big fish !
I could not visit your blog yesterday. I love your post about strawberries.

Mike said...

If the guy in the postcard caught that fish all by himself it would still be mildly impressive. But not nearly as impressive as the one below of course...he must be related to the one featured in Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.

Pat said...

Cool. They eat a lot of catfish here, too.

Debby said...

Hi Marie, I love your vintage postcard for this week. It is always fun to read your posts, learn something new everytime. Catfish! I am not a big fan, but my hubby loves them. I decided to play the postcard Friday this week, first time, looking forward to visiting everyone's blog.
Debby

EG CameraGirl said...

You made me smile when I saw WHY the first fish is puny. ;-) I wonder why a catfish has so many taste buds!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh my...that 2nd photo is one BIG fish! I love catfish!

Lori E said...

A little extra coloring on the fish don't you think?

Müge Tekil said...

This is a very beautiful postcard dear Marie. That well-groomed man looks funny with that colourful fish in his hands :-) Have a nice weekend!

Beth Niquette said...

To answer your question about Rip Van Winkle--I think he fell asleep for 100 years. That seems to be the magic number in fairytales!

Such a delightful story.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
That's one BIG fish!!! And I thought my hubby had caught some big ones! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

fortuitous faery said...

in the philippines, we call them "hito."

SILVER said...

hey, you changed your ID pic again! Nice!

As usual, love coming here to check out your vintage posts!

hugs-
Silver

ilyani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ilyani said...

wowowow I see big fish!! :o

Happy PFF!

imajica is imajicated

Starman said...

Actually, that fish isn't so puny and will probably be quite tasty. One of my first lessons on French cuisine was about fish. If it doesn't state 'filet' on the menu, it will be a whole fish.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a fun post!!!!

mel said...

OMG, that's a honkin' big fish...

Aimee said...

Wow, now that's a fish!

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW... that is one BIG cat fish... AMAZING... I will have to show this to my son the fisherman!
Bon week-end!
Fifi

me again said...

I just discovered this blog today; my entry is on my blog! This looks like a great art challenge!
==Lennie==

Mozi Esme said...

That is one amazing big fish...

AK said...

Hi! Of course you can join French friday! I`m putting you on the list for next week, and if you want to join again another friday just e-mail me at: degodetingilivet@hotmail.com! Have a great weekend! From AK

Catherine said...

I love your postcard, Marie. This man could have any activities, except fishing ! Look, how he looks ridiculous, now, compared to the catfish fishermen !
Unbelievable ! Thanks to share the gem !

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I'm having trouble believeing this is a real catfish in Thailand!
Evelyn in Montreal

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: Pretty cool fish that you showed and your cool cat comments is very appropriate today.
BTW: I've been away from the computer traveling for a few days.

sudarshan bengani said...

you have got an awesome collection of of postcards at your blog especailly the fish one it was amazing

Frieda Oxenham said...

I just love this postcard and I also love that I've discovered this blog. I'll make to be back when you upload a new challenge!