May Day in France

vintage postcards

Joyeux Premier Mai! To celebrate I gathered little nosegays of muguet (lily-of-the-valley) and tied them up with blue ribbon! The post office is closed for the holiday so I surprised the mailmen with the little bouquets and bottles of white wine yesterday! It was a day filled with smiles, luck (porte - bonheur), and big thank - yous for their hard work!

41 cool cats commented:

Müge Tekil said...

I wish you a Happy 1st May dear Marie! Your postcard for this week is very elegant. I don’t know if I had told you: My first name, Müge, comes from French and means “muguet” (lily of the valley) in Turkish language. But, unfortunately, we don’t have this flower in Turkey (it’s imported from Europe when needed) and so we don’t have the tradition to offer “muguets” on 1st May.

Sparky said...

Pretty! "Gather ye nosegays while ye may." :o)

trish said...

Happy May Day! We don't much celebrate it here in Massachusetts, but my Lily-of-the-valleys are just about to bloom. Every year I think about surprising someone with a may basket, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe this will be the year! I'm glad you stopped by my blog last week and left a comment, I hope to see you again soon.
Trish

Sweetnothin' said...

nice..am definitely getting that one for my friends

Unknown said...

I Just love lily of the valley, I enjoy them in my garden every year, my lily of the valley has not flowered as of yet.

Thanks for stopping by my blog I enjoy receiving comments, as I do giving them..

Have a fabulous May Day!
Melissa

~Cheryl said...

Happy May Day - this is a marvelous postcard! Very cool colors.

Robin said...

Lilly of the Valley.....Such a perfect flower for a May Day bouquet.

Love your vintage postcards....

Have a most beautiful day today.

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
I hope Ya'll have the most amazing
May Day !
I had problems with the computer and did not get to post the postcards I wanted to but please know I am with you in spirit on this fabuous special First Day of May ! Many Blessings to you today as you enjoy the season .
Happy Trails until we meet again .

MuseSwings said...

Happy May 1st! What a lovely way to celebrate. Happy PFF to you too!

Chandy said...

Happy 1st of May! That is a lovely postcard... ;-)

Mike said...

Theat's a very elegant woman in that picture. She looks like she could be a noblewoman from the 1800s.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

A wonderful postcard. May is a beautiful month and May Day invokes sweet memories of childhood.

Sheila said...

I'd forgotten about the muguet! It's a lovely custom, and I adore the flowers.

Unfortunately I'll be away most of this weekend (and next as it happens) but I'll do my best to get around to see everyone as soon as I can.

pchickki said...

Your blog is absolutley delightful!
Hugs
Patti

I love lilly of the valley

BeNotForgot said...

Happy May Day, Marie. Luv the colors in that one -- some of my favorites. Especially like the spoken words you added.

Four-eyed-missy said...

Happy 1st of May to you, too!
It's a holiday here today, and that's because May 1 is Labor Day...
So sweet of you to surprised the women at the post office. When I started postcard-swapping in Cambodia, the post office staff became already used to my face showing up regularly. So I get to spend a few more minutes just chatting with the. Yesterday I went there to send a stamp cover and requested to put smaller denomination stamps -- which they agreed to do. I might borrow your "surprise" idea one day :)
Happy PFF, Marie :)


Postcards Crossing

Pearl said...

Hi Marie...

HAPPY
MAY DAY!

I just Love this postcard... of course, I Adore Lily of the Valley flowers and everything about May Day ♥

If you have time, please stop by for a visit and go down a few posts/days, as I did a post about May Baskets and the tradition behind them... I think you'd like it! Thanks for sharing and telling about the ways y'all celebrate this sweet Holiday where you live... I hope all's going well with you...

~blessings~
Pearl

Pearl said...

~slipping back in~

Ohhhh Marie, I was delighted that you were able to come visit... and thank you so much for the sweet Birthday wishes ♥

If you do get a chance to make May Baskets today, please take some photos that you can share... I'd Love to see your creations!

How Exciting about the Victorian Trading Card from N.H.... each week I do a "Tuesday Tid-Bits" post, and I'm really glad that you found it and discovered the card! I'm glad you're sending it along to your Mom, and I'll be looking forward to hearing if you find the location when you visit there!

Have a wonderful day!
Pearl

Pat said...

Always wise to keep on good terms with your mailmen/women.

viridian said...

Happy May 1st. I wish I had a lily of the valley postcard to share. I love their scent.

Beth Niquette said...

What a lovely postcard. It seems hard to believe it is May. I have longed for spring most of this winter, and now it is here with its flowers and unfurling leaves.

Thank you for your comment on my blog! I had gotten distracted and forgot to post my postcard until this morning! Thought you'd like to know, as it is a lovely postcard I found in the attic, which I bought when I was a teenager. (grin)

Have wonderful day!

Daryl said...

Sharing a tourist postcard .. which I didnt buy, I merely took its photo while it waited for another more industrious tourist to buy it and send it ... Happy Friday .. and I promise this is absolutely my last SouthBeach photo ...

Mandala Michelle said...

Beautiful as always. I had a postcard ready for today but decided to go with a photo instead. It's so beautiful that I'm hoping to use it to make my own postcards to sell in local stores. Have a wonderful May Day pretty lady!

Unknown said...

Happy May Everyone. What a beautiful postcard. I love the colors and the lily of the valley is such a dainty and delicate flower.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

So great to hear that my inspiration boards are inspiring you! I hope you become a daily reader! Chrissy from the Perfect Palette

Rosemary said...

Happy May Day to you!!
Congrats on getting married soon.
Love your site!!!
I'm glad you like mine too!
Have a fabulous weekend!
Rosemary

Margo said...

Happy Lusty month of May
I bet you no one here in myrtle Beach will gather a little nosegay
to give to the mailwoman today.
So we just will have to say
Happy postcard friendship Friday
and hope no one calls the cops

farmhouse wares said...

What a sweet gesture. Happy May Day!

Diane Duda said...

How lovely!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Please come by often. :)
Happy May Day!

di

Catherine said...

A bunch of happiness, for you and your family, dear Marie.
With your good of humour, they didn't need this lucky charm in fact. They already have happiness.

Pietro Brosio said...

Hapy 1st May, Marie!
Le Premier Mai a 120 ans, ici!

mel said...

Beltane Blessings and a Happy May Day!! How about that? I didn't even *know* it was Postcard Friendship Friday....a happy accident indeed!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog...nice to have you visit!!

ticklishfromadistance said...

What a BEAUTIFUL place! Thanks so much for stopping by!!! xoxo

Betsy Brock said...

Happy May Day! Lovely postcard!

Aimee said...

Happy May Day, Marie!! Love the card!

joanne said...

Happy May Day! Thank you for stopping by my site and leaving such a sweet comment. Enjoy your day..

Starman said...

That was very thoughtful of you. Happy Premier Mai, although it's probably over by now.

Hit 40 said...

I need some one to post more info on this may day thing? Maybe it is big ....

I have definitely never celebrated it.

Great postcards! I love old pictures.

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

I got here late, but what a lovely postcard!! I love lillies of the valley. They're so delicate. What a great thing to do for your postwomen.

In America when they close the post office you wouldn't find anyone there.:)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Happy Belated May Day!

Postcardy said...

What happened to Mr. Linky? It is now gone from this post & so is the one on my blog. My blog's labels won't work either today.