'S' - Seventies Snail Souvenir - ABC Wednesday

snail vintage postcards

Groovy! This slimy seventies snail souvenir is from the region of France that I live in. Bourgogne (Burgundy in English) is known for its fine wine and of course escargot! They are really quite divine with a garlic, parsley, and butter sauce! The greedy gastropods munched on vineyard's carefully tended grape leaves. The Burgundians in turn munched on them. That's revenge for you!

PS. All followers of this blog are automatically entered in a monthly give away! Come join in the fun:)

Come join in the ABC Wednesday fun!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

31 cool cats commented:

jay said...

I didn't know that they ate the vines and were then eaten in turn! Poetic justice indeed - but I still couldn't fancy one myself. Ewwwww! LOL!

ilyani said...

ahahahha. awesome card! well certain types or snails are edible in some places here :D

check my S for sheep! ;)..

Happy ABC wednesday!! x

Pat said...

I love snails, but haven't eaten them in ages.

Maria Berg said...

That is snaiil mail and that is spam!!!

Hello !!!
Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I will once again have a lottery for one of my photo.
This time, I want you to look at the pictures with the
aspect that you might want to buy a it and tell me why you choses those 5.

http://mariaberg-foto.blogspot.com/2009/04/tavling-nr-2-vinn-en-forstoring.html
You will find the text in English futher down that page.

It would make me very happy if you want to participate,
/Maria Berg, Sweden

Roger Owen Green said...

Spam would have fit the category too! My parents-in-law have been to the Spam museum in the Midwest of the US. Tastes better than snails.

Carol said...

That's a neat card...and an interesting piece of info...

Floss said...

Cute little card! I actually haven't eaten snails since coming to France. I've had them before and they're OK, but I don't really seek them out in restaurents.

Unknown said...

That's a juicy bit of info. - escargot and wine . Let's drink to that. Cheers!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello dear Marie!
I have never tasted this type "escargot"! On the other hand I'm really crazy about French Wine! For me "it"is divine in fact! Maybe we could change the escargot for some delicious CHEESE!LOL
Have a nice day sweet Marie!;-)
( here it is raining "cats and dogs"!)Not good for my hair! ;-(
Léia

Miss_Yves said...

Typically French !
How to participate to your meme about mailboxes ?

Polly Forns said...

Aha! The escargot is such a treat here in the U.S. I still MUCH favor the spam. I didn't know they ate the leaves of the vines. That was tragic in itself.
Thanks for the note on my blog! I fell in love with Berlin and wished I could have stayed there much longer!

Lowell said...

Your comment about revenge is so funny! I really love your blog...and I'm so glad you stopped by Ocala DP! I'll be back...

I'm so envious of you living in France!

lv2scpbk said...

Cool card. I bet you have a postcard for everything. Neat!

Maggi said...

Love this card! (and garlic! lol)

Janie said...

Now that's a unique "s" post! Fascinating postcard, too. I've never tried escargot, but everyone who's brave enough seems to think it's delicious.

Q said...

A great "S"!
Wow...maybe one of these days I will try a snail...
Sherry

Becky said...

Ah, the sweet taste of revenge! Or in this case is it salty?

I like wine but not very interested in munching snails :-0

Daryl said...

Love snails in garlic ... but I bet the vineyard owners eat them like sushi

lorhen82 said...

It makes my stomach lurch to even think about eating a snail! I guess I don't have gourmet taste! ~Lori

Sparky said...

Snails are good in garlic. YUM!

That's such a 70's card, isn't it? Groovy man. ha ha

fortuitous faery said...

cute! that's literally snail mail!

Starman said...

I love Escargot Bourgogne.

Artsnark said...

Popped over to say thanks for your kind comment on my Mary Shelley digital collage portrait (over at the VASTgallery blog).

What a fun site you have here! Very cool

Tumblewords: said...

I ate escargot in Germany years ago and could believe I was chewing a rubber band, nicely butter'd, garlic'd and sautee'd. :) Neat card.

kml said...

Never tried it before - can't get past the slime of them!

Deanna said...

Love those snails with a few bread crumbs and a touch of Pernod.

By the way, I'm a real Spam lover!

Deanna :D

Kristin - The Goat said...

Anything can taste wonderful when it's slathered in garlic and butter :) But I am a big fan of escargo yummm

Silver said...

Snails? Escargots? delicacy, huh?

hugs-
~Silver

twinkle teaches said...

The card is so 70s. Snails are okay in my book but slugs are not. :)
tina

Rachella said...

This is hilarious!

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh! A triple-S post. ;-) How clever of you.