My Name is Jane and I am a Quailaholic

vintage postcards
Jane Seymour, wife numero 3 of King Henry VIII of England, had a hankering for quail all through her pregnancy.



Henry had the little birds shipped from Calais.
He ordered, 'fat quails which her Grace loveth very well, and longeth not a little for.'


A large consignment of quail did arrive to Jane's relief!
She gorged on them at every meal!
(The image below reads Jane the Quene)




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

47 cool cats commented:

Bryan said...

Wow. I've learned something awesome today. Merci, Marie. Saint-Fargeau est près d'Orléans et de Bourges, n'est-ce pas? Hopefully my French was passable.

Marie Reed said...

You hit the nail on the head Bryan! Saint Fargeau is a hop, skip, and a jump away from Orléans!

RA said...

Wow, it's amazing what we can find out from postcards. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day, Marie :).

Veronica Lee said...

I was a big fan of the Tudor era, King Henry and all his wives, especially Jane and Anne Boleyn.

Aileni said...

Poor child - her story is enough to make anyone quail.

soulbrush said...

haven't been to visit you for ages, and i do so love what i see every time. i have taken on so many posts every week, i can't always keep up with my comments on other's blogs, so here's a BIG hugs from london. xx

Anonymous said...

Wow - I did not know that! Thanks for sharing :D Also thanks for your earlier kind comment :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Quirky Queen's Quail!!

I love this Quailifying Quest of Monochrome Monday! :)

~Lisa
New Mexico, USA

Eclectic Chic Style said...

I love visiting so much I'm your newest follower, I always learn something new by stopping in.
Have a wonderful day!♥ Teresa

Reader Wil said...

Jane Seymour is the queen I don't know much about, only that she died in childbirth when the only son of Henry VIII was born( Edward VI). Therefore I like this post so much and the postcard is wonderful! I like vintage objects, but I don't collect them.
Thanks for your visit and comment.
Have a great week.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Marie...

Ohhh...I'm a huge fan of this era! I loved learning this little tidbit about Jane Seymour! Quail...hmmm, I'm so glad that my preggo cravings consisted of food like doughnuts! Hehe!!!

Marie, now I may just be crazy (wink) but I could have sworn that you had done a post for Sunday Favorites??? I thought I took a quick peek at it late last night? Anyway, I had an unplanned hectic day today and so I'm just now getting over to your place...so sorry that I'm late!

I love all of your vintage postcards!!! I just started a collection...I received an entire box full of these little treasured keepsakes from my FIL who just passed away! I'm still thinking of creative ways to display them...I hate just leaving them tucked away in a box!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

Anne said...

That I did not know!! Thank you for telling me...

Pat said...

I wonder how many she ate at a sitting. They're awfully small.

Debby said...

Love reading your posts and seeing your great cards.
debby

Catherine said...

Marie, each time, I wonder where you can find such informations ?
I like learning something new each day, now I get the address.

Leah Kleylein said...

Very interesting!!! I have to admit, not once in my entire life have I craved a Quail. Clearly I'm going to have to search it out more!

Betsy Brock said...

Now why couldn't ol' Henry be that sweet all the time!

Carver said...

Fun post. I didn't know that. I like the postcard too.

Liz Hinds said...

What an unusual craving! Interesting facts.

I like the open-mouthed hippo below too!

Daryl said...

Very cool ... she should have practiced her penmanship whilst awaiting the quail

EG CameraGirl said...

I didn't know that about Jane!

Anonymous said...

That was a different and an interesting post! I love old postcards, pictures and often think about the story behind it. Thank you for sharing! And thanks for visiting me! =) Happy Monday!

Dragonstar said...

I've never tasted quail. Always seems to me like too much work to try to find a mouthful of meat. They must have been more tender than most of the dishes back then, maybe that's why she liked them. Fascinating history.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: Quite an interesting bit of history to go with your card.

Rune Eide said...

I have never tasted quail that I know of, but maybe I should since Jane Seymour was one of the few wife's that "escaped" Henry "the natural way".

Anne-Berit said...

I learn something new every day.Thanks for sharing.Great post.

Saretta said...

How interesting! Those pregnancy cravings can be odd!

lorhen82 said...

Marie, the title you gave this post cracks me up!

I wonder if Henry felt any guilt over Anne Boleyn when Jane would pop their little heads off to eat them??? Ewwwww!!! ~Lori

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Funny thing, when I was pregnant, the only thing that I did not eat was fowl...including quail. I learn something new everyday.

Rosemary said...

Wow!!
Cool!Thank you!!
Thank you so much for your visit too!
Have a wonderful day,
Rosemary

Jane said...

I love your blog! This post of Jane Seymour is awesome! Thanks for visiting me and leaving your kind comments. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Hi Marie, I love your site and just signed up to follow. BTW, My parents lived in Orleans for 12 years and I did get to visit there on occassion. I see where Bryon says that is close to you?
Good thoughts from the brush, doris

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, the portrait is very nice. A good drawing.

Mamapippa said...

Interesting !
Nice postcards also !

Starman said...

I've never eaten quail. Maybe it was eating all those quails that prevented poor Jane from giving the king his heir.

Knitty said...

What an interesting post and fun blog you have! I will be back to visit again when I have more time to explore. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Katie said...

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever had quail...maybe I need to try it. Thanks for stopping my my blog!

Cathy said...

Marie, I just finished watching the recent episode of the Tudors where Henry goes into a deep depression after Jane passes away. It was a real tear-jerker. I love the fact that I happened upon your blog and had a chance to meet another person who just loves that era.

Have a great evening.

Cathy

Sarah said...

Bonjour!

Ca va?

I don't speak much French, but I did take 4 years of it in high school :) I dabble.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, it was so nice to have you! Feel free to have a seat on my comfy bench at any time. We'll kick off our shoes and have tea and chocolates.

Au revoir,
Sarah

Fifi Flowers said...

Quails are ADORABLE!

Sparky said...

Quails, or Bob White's (as well them here), are so TASTY!! Yum!

Sparky said...

I meant "we call them here". D'oh! ha ha

PeterParis said...

At least she got some pleasures during her pregnancy. As I remember she didn't live long after.

Clueless in Boston said...

Great info with humor, as usual. Love the title of the post, but then I'm not a Quailaholic, just the usual run of the mill shopaholic.

slim said...

Pickles are so much easier to find than quail; though there are a few of the feathered friends in our salt marhes. What a fascinating post!

sunnymama said...

How fascinating! What a great monochrome entry :)

The Clever Pup said...

Thanks for favouriting my blog. I appreciate it.