Let's Go Swimming!

vintage postcards


Why do all the groovy bathing suits that I find only fit size 2 Amazonian super models! Ugh! I'm still on the search for a nice vintage postcard like maillot de bain! Wish me luck:) I just love this yummy banana color though! 



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

55 cool cats commented:

Chris Overstreet said...

When did people in France start wearing bathing suits again?

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, that postcard is SO nice!!!
The colour photo is wonderful too!

Courtney said...

Thanks for the sweet comment! I got my blog layout from Shabby Blogs! : )

SILVER said...

ooohh lala... i got to get one myself.. (the yummmy one of course..haha)

claude said...

Fashiuon changes, Fortunately !

Unknown said...

Gotta go and get one and make a big splash - sitting by the poolside! Nice solid colour for me, please.

claude said...

I think you can cook my recipe with turkey.

Gattina said...

I like this bathing suits of course not in black, but with some colors they would look fine, better than some women in a bikini !

Pat said...

When are they going to bring bathing suits like that back? That's about all I look good in these days.

Ha! Love comment # 1!

Veronica Lee said...

What a cute postcard!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

O.K. I kind of like the yellow bathing suit. Of course I'm pretty sure that ruffle around the hips wouldn't look quite that nice on me. I'd look like I was in a tutu!

Rune Eide said...

They must be dressed for swimming here right now: Ten degrees C and rain by the bucket...

Auntie E said...

Mixed feeling on the swim wear,lol. One side of me likes the old..Everyone the same. cover a multitude of imperfections. the other side like the new.. bright colors and cooler!

RA said...

We love to go swimming! Call me old fashioned, but I kind of like the first ones in color. Have a great day :)

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Love this blog! Thanks for visiting me! I will definitely be back for some more giggles.
Blondie

Sparky said...

I knew that was paparazzi following me! How did you get that photo of me in the yellow suit!!?? JK!!! ROFLOL! I would be one of the three above. :o)) Cute postcard.

Country Cottage Chic said...

Aaah - those old costumes covered a multitude of sins....do you think we can make vintage bathing suits fashionable again???

Jayne

Pam @ Frippery said...

Good luck on your closet redo!

Penney said...

Marie, I saw one by Burberry, about a year ago. It looked like this gorgeous goldenrod colored one..So adorable!!!
xo, Penney
let us know when you find it?

Lynn said...

Love your blog Marie, very informative and I love the postcards :)

The Bloom Girls said...

I love the yellow maillot bathing suit...yellow is so not my color.
Your blog is fabulous and I'm amazed at how resourceful you are to find all those beautiful postcards.
Thanks for stopping by our blog!
Nola @ The Bloom Girls
Nashville, TN

Katie said...

Fabulous swimsuit postcard! If you find a seller of cool vintage-like swimsuits in sizes bigger than 2 let me know. I'm up for a swim!

The Clever Pup said...

I have a lovely picture of my husband's granny in a striped Jantzen style flapper bathing suit circa 1924. Stunning. I searched for one for weeks for my self. the closest one I found was at Amazon.com but they won't send clothing into Canada.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow...You know...I think I prefer the first one! I love vintage!
Great post!
Thanks for sharing!
By the way...I love your hair!
Kind Regards from Brazil
God bless you
Léia ( and little Luna is also your "fan"! )

Dawnll said...

Marie,
Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my site. I really like your blog...I am now a follower!

Floss said...

We have an amazong photo of my grandpa in a maillot like that, posing with a bottle of beer! I'm going to try to find it when I next go to my parents' house...

Reader Wil said...

Such cards also make me happy! Thanks for the visit!

Maggi said...

I love that postcard!

Starman said...

J'aime beaucoup la couleur banane. Vous seriez belle dans ce maillot de bain.

Daryl said...

That's a pretty suit ...

ohhh prizes .. giveaways .. yipppie!

peggy gatto said...

Thanks for the postcard!
Actually that is exactly the style I need....cover me up!

Pietro Brosio said...

Yes, Marie, I know you like my sundials series: there are not many sundials around, but I hope to increase my collection which for the time being has only 4 images!! :-)

Tara said...

Sometimes a girl just wishes those ugly black suits that covered you from shoulder to kneecaps were still the fashion. Good luck with your postcard hunt and have a terrific Tuesday!

Jeni C Slack (^0^) said...

Wonderful site, thank you for visiting my page! I shall come back and take my time to peruse your collection ~Jeni

Unknown said...

Ha , the oldies look great!
Love the caps!

The Blonde Duck said...

Was it a cute Chihuahua? :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. Today's version is way more attractive than yesterday's bathing suits. ;-) Nice to see the contrast!

Momisodes said...

Wow! What a great postcard. And I adore that yellow bathing suit.

Ann said...

i love the postcard! love that yellow malliot too....now,if someone could only give me her fabulous body,i'd wear it!! Heck..if i had that body,i might risk being arrested for public nudity!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catherine said...

What an evolution ! Concerning bathing suits as well as bodies !

Jane Hards Photography said...

I don't do yellow, but for you I'll make an exception.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS MY FAV POSTCARD BY FAR
I LOVE THE SWIMWEAR THEY USED TO WEAR AND ACTUALLY LOOKED ON LINE TO SEE IF I COULD FIND A BATHING SUIT LIKE THE ONES ON THIS POSTCARD, I FOUND A FEW BUT THEY WERE N OTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.
I KEEP THE FLAPPER STYLE GOING WITH MYSELF, I LOVE MY FUN BOB AND HATS I LOVE TO WEAR.
I EVEN PLAN ON DOING A POST ON MY BLOG WITH THESE SWIMSUITS!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Let's go swimming now, everybody's learning how! Ack! I look Godawful in that color yellow. But you're a blonde so it should work for you. :)

Betsy Brock said...

I want that yellow swimsuit! Well, let me have that body to go with it! tee-hee!

That is the chicken said...

I love the vintage bathing suits. if you visit Banff Hot Springs in the Rockies you can rent one...but they're not very comfortable!

ChaChaneen said...

Happy Tuesday my beautiful friend!
Oh my gosh, pass the ice cream! ha ha I would love to fit in that bathing suit... ha ha! Good luck in your search. By the way, did you find your wedding dress yet?

Clueless in Boston said...

I always wondered how the girls swam with those old fashioned bathing suits. I'll take the newer swimsuits and the girls that go with them. You're right, Yummy! :)

The Explorer said...

this is a nice bathing suit but i think it does not fit to myself too...c",)

PS:
Thanks for dropping by in my site few weeks ago, this is the only time I was able to visit your blog. I do appreciate your time.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The postcard is unreal! Quite a different perspective of glamour! And I too love that rich buttery yellow of the coloured swimsuit!

Gunilla said...

Fantastic postcards. I really like them both. But my favorite bathingsuit is the yellow.

Thanks for visiting me.

Have a great day

Gunilla in Sweden

penny said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful old postcard, its delighful.

ByLightOfMoon said...

I adore vintage bathing beauties!
Thanks for sharing! You can wear the yellow on your vacation! SMiles, Cyndi

Jim said...

Thanks for the gorgeous shot of Australian model Miranda Kerr.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Arija said...

Ah for the good old days of well endowed bathing beauties!

Bim said...

I've been looking for a swimsuit like the three black and white girls wear for years!