Sugary Sweet Vintage Postcards

vintage postcards

Joséphine de Beauharnais had stubby black teeth due to her childhood habit of chewing on sugar cane! She was born in Martinique to a creole sugar plantation owning family.


Napoleon Bonaparte certainly didn't seem to mind:) He once wrote,"You to whom nature has given spirit, sweetness, and beauty, you who alone can move and rule my heart
, you who knows all too well the absolute empire you exercise over it!"

PS. All followers of this blog will be automatically entered into a monthly giveaway!

Come join in the Vintage Thingey Thursday fun!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

39 cool cats commented:

Tara said...

I didn't know that about her teeth, it's a bit icky isn't it. I would imagine a lot of people back then had bad teeth even without the sugar cane. Thank goodness for modern dentistry! It's heartwarming to hear Jo was loved by her man anyway, for a while at least, LOL!!!

Pat said...

Oooh, not too attractive nowadays for sure.

Unknown said...

How coincidental! The other day, a friend was telling us about Josephine and the grace which she possessed . Napoleon adored her for the class she brought with her.
I'll let her know about this post. Thanks!

SILVER said...

Love is blind, Marie..;)

Floss said...

It's amazing what personal flaws people put up with in the past - I guess they really had no choice, and now we do...

I just wanted to say that I really loved your Raggedy Ann post from yesterday too - I had a Raggedy Ann doll (a few years before you, I think) and I loved her cotton hair and sweet face.

Maggi said...

I guess it goes to show that personality does count for something in the end!

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I agree love is blind!

Cezar and Léia said...

This is a romantic and lovely postcard!
I'm sugar addicted so...who cares about dentistry! Thanks God my brother and niece are dentist doctors!
Léia

Postcardy said...

You said "I just left a VTT post that showcased teddybear bookends!"

????????????

alik said...

I like postcards in your blog... nice blog... nice you too...

Jingle said...

These are wonderful! What treasures It is so cool how you have all the details behind them, too!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Coool! I love love LOVE everything French and Creole! Thank you for posting this...(but I didn't know about her teeth. gross.)
;)
everything vintage

Unknown said...

To answer your question about the hardy boy books. I would say aged 10-12. Our son is almost 8 and is not quite interested.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!!

the wild raspberry said...

isn't love grand?!
this was very cute...
have a wonderful day.
chasity

Unknown said...

You have the coolest tidbits of history! Guess that's why so many portraits had smiles with mouths closed (Mona Lisa comes to mind)!

Daryl said...

Wouldnt you think having stubby black teeth would means a lot of pain?

Fabulous postcard ... I am guessing she didnt smile a lot .. must be due to the PAIN

SueLovesCherries said...

I love tidbits of history - thanks for sharing this!

Neabear said...

Now I see my confusion. Postcardy left me a confusing comment. I guess she was confused about yours, thinking you had the teddy bear bookends. But you really meant you had just "visited" a post that had teddybear bookends. Too funny. I am glad I am not confused anymore. Thank you for following me and visiting me too. Interesting fact about the sugar cane. I did not know that. Have a great Thursday!

Bea said...

Great info. Since Napoleon was so short, he probably never saw her teeth. =)

Anonymous said...

Maybe they didnt talk much as her beauty on the outside that showed was good enough for him, no, im kidding,she was so pretty,i love all i am learning from you thanks!

Unknown said...

Very nice pictures and really refreshing articles. Always nice to come back and read them!

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, I once read a book about Josephine and was surprised that she had such bad teeth. I think she used to hide that fact with handkerchief.

Thank goodness for dentists today!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I learned something new today. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment. It really means a lot to me.

Miss Rosa said...

I've heard lots of strange things about Napoleon and Josephine ... I love the postcards you post. And I followed you without even knowing there's a monthly giveaway! So exciting!

Starman said...

When I first looked at the picture of Josephine, I thought her cloak was a white frog.

Beth Niquette said...

Just goes to show it is what is on the inside that counts.

She was a lovely woman. He was a powerful man--and he, according to history, loved her to distraction.

I wonder what it was about her???

JunieRose2005 said...

Interesting post!

You have a really lovely blog here!

Also- want to say thanks for your recent visits to my blog.

Junie Rose

Chandy said...

Marie, nice seeing you in my tablescaping blog as well. I love those postcards. I found some great postcards while I was in AZ so I'll be joining tomorrow. I can't wait!

Sparky said...

Poor Josephine! Bless her heart. Too bad they didn't have the modern dentistry we have today.

Denise said...

Warm heart hugs back at you! Thanks for visiting me. Gorgeous images and thanks for the info too! Didn't know that about her teeth! Glad I made you smile!
Hugs
Denise
oxoxox

Marie said...

Ah ah I didn't know about Josephine's teeth. I suppose that not a lot of people had white teeth at that time :-))

Jeanie said...

I love this! I'm beginning my first trip to France on June 15 and this really puts me in the mood (although I've been in the mood for rather awhile!)

Anonymous said...

Well. If I had those clothes, I'd look good in black teeth too.
Sincerely, she was of charm and you can see her grace and poise in the art.

oooh and ahhh....I love your postcards and stories :)

Unknown said...

I love that you always have some little fun tidbit to share with your post cards, Marie!

lorhen82 said...

Can you imagine the breath of anyone with teeth like that??? It sounds very painful too!

Unknown said...

Oh , kinda gross!
Guess it was common!

Miri said...

Great postcards! I've always liked Josephine...I've always credited her with making empire style dresses popular!

Clueless in Boston said...

Interesting factoid about Josephine's teeth. Black stubby teeth would be a real deal breaker for me, no matter how beautiful the woman. I would never be able to get past the visuals to get to know her. Love may be blind, but yuck, yuck, and double yuck.

pchickki said...

Oh poor thing. I guess sugar will do that to ya huh?
Thanks for sharing
Patti