'R' is for Raggedy Ann

vintage postcards
Here I am clutching my Raggedy Ann doll! Awwwwwww! The first gladdening Raggedy Ann stories (written in 1915 by Johnny Gruelle) were based on a real rag doll found by the author's daughter in an attic trunk.


He drew the famous black eyes and red triangular nose onto the faceless rag doll. From his bookshelf, he pulled a book of poems by James Whitcomb Riley, and combined the names of two poems, "The Raggedy Man" and " Little Orphan Annie." He said, "Why don’t we call her Raggedy Ann?

61 cool cats commented:

Pamposh Dhar said...

Beautiful pictures. And what a cool story. Thanks for sharing that, Marie.

Pat said...

I still have my first Raggedy Ann, but she has lost her dress....

Bradley Hsi said...

Cute picture of younger version of you and nice story of the origin of Raggedy Ann.

Roger Owen Green said...

Did I ever have a Raggedy Ann or Andy? I just don't recall that I did. My loss.

claude said...

Yesterday I post a photo with my doll (on the right).
A photo of my syster, me and my doll was published on the post calendar in 1957. My postwoman is trying to find this calendar to keep this memory.

Gordon said...

How cute you were! It was interesting to read about the origin of Raggedy Ann.

magiceye said...

so sweet... your picture and the story!

ilyani said...

awww cute little Marie! :)
Happy ABC Wednesday - I made a post for it too, and thanks for introducing!

x

imajica is imajicated

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Thanks for the background story, Marie Isabelle. Imagine finding a name by poem title combination. It gives a feeling of substance to this poor little doll.

My older sister had this doll and they both had red hair and freckles...or at least it looked that way to me. I always associate the doll with my sister, Linda.

Cute postcards...I especially liked the last one. Love to you <3

Anya said...

Lovely post :)
I have my first doll,
I be care with it :)
Beautiful pictures !!

Maggi said...

I loved Raggedy Ann when I was a kid!

Cezar and Léia said...

I'm envious now! I haven't had this doll! So adorable!
Beautiful pictures!
Thanks for sharing
God bless you
Léia

Reader Wil said...

What a lovely child you were! And the doll is great! I like the extra information! Thanks for telling the story of Johnny Gruelle. I'll keep that in mind!

The Flying Pinto said...

You're so cute...you look just the same: ) I love this story, my mom just gave my 2 year old, Lucy a Raggedy Ann for her birthday. She loves it!

Your site is beautiful, thanks for your visit to mine! I also wanted to tell you I have some great old postcards I found at a flea market in Paris...I framed them and they hang in my entry way. You can see them in an old post...http://www.theflyingpinto.com/2009/01/souvenirs.html

Rune Eide said...

A most fitting post - for a father with three girls...


Thank you for the comment!

Unknown said...

You were so cute!!

Great interesting story ( as always)

lorhen82 said...

Oh my gosh...you're so adorable!!! My mother has made Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls for all of her grandchildren. She does a fantastic job! I'll have to get my hands on some and post a photo sometime. ~Lori

Miss_Yves said...

Really cute !

Mamapippa said...

A little you !

Jennifer Taylor said...

I loved those stories! Of course, I had to buy them and share them with my daughter when she was born.

DeniseinVA said...

Great post and what a cute little girl you were. I love photos of the way we were. May we always be in touch with our inner child :)

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Awwwe Marie...you were TOO PRECIOUS!

(and you haven't changed a bit!)

I just love the way you smile through your eyes...
evertyhing vintage

Marie said...

What a beautiful little girl (you're still beautiful now :-)) . Nice story.

It's very hot in Montpellier. Too hot for me. I'm going to ride my bike along the river.

Thank you for your comment on my blog.

Karyn said...

What an adorable photo! You were a cutie.

I love Raggedy Ann (although I've never owned one) and enjoyed the story of where she originated.

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I'm stopping by to say hello.

That is just charming, who knew? Thank you -

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com

Leslie: said...

I had a Raggedy Ann and so did my two daughters. She's an icon! Great choice for today - really enjoyed it. :D

Carol said...

I love Raggedy Ann! Such a darling picture of you and doll.

Linda Hughes said...

So sweet, your photo and the story of Raggedy Ann. Thanks for sharing ABC Wednesday, too.

Unknown said...

Cute little you!
I know the disabled residents of Selangor Cheshire Home make these dolls to sell. They are cuddly and cute too.

dizzymslizzy said...

I see a little devil in that angelic face, Marie Isabelle. Must be the dimple!

Daryl said...

Werent you a cutie pie ... I have a Raggedly Ann that my then BF shoplifted for me from Disneyland .. seriously

Loni Edwards said...

Oh what a wonderful memory you are bringing back for me! I loved the Raggedy Ann stories!

photowannabe said...

Clever and very original post Marie. I never knew the origin of Raggedy Ann before. Thanks for stopping by and following my blog. Its most appreciated. I will be back to see more of your work too.
Sue

Q said...

I also had a Raggedy Ann. I did not know her history.
So delightful!
Sherry

Dragonstar said...

Lovely post! Great information and a beautiful photo.

Rose said...

What a cutie! I used to have a Raggedy Ann doll when I was young; too bad I didn't take better care of it for it surely would be a collector's item now. There is actually a Raggedy Ann and Andy museum located not far from me. I think the creator's daughter or granddaughter may still live there.
Interesting post!

Betsy Brock said...

Adorable! I could tell that was you even from the tiny picture on my blogroll! :)

Starman said...

I remember Raggedy Ann and Andy.

nonizamboni said...

Oh, does your post bring back memories of my daughters!
And thanks for a bit of history too.
Here's wishing you sunny days ahead :O)

Postcardy said...

I have a James Whitcomb Riley book that belonged to my mother when she was a child and even have some of his postcards. I never knew that's where Raggedy Ann was named.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I loved Raggedy Ann & Andy. I had the dolls, blankets, curtains...you name it! Now I'm trying to get my daughter into it..she has her own doll and book (although she has a habit of flinging her) Hopefully she'll learn to love her as I did! This brought back great memories for me.:)

Kristen H said...

my first grade teacher read us the ann and andy books that were wonderful. This postcard is darling and great memories to boot!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

OMG you are so adorable! And you look just the same now as you did when you were a little girl. Precious. I had a Raggedy Ann as well. In face, on my desk I have a rock with Raggedy Ann painted on it and the quote "I'm a Raggedy Ann girl in a Barbie Doll world".

Janie said...

I had a raggedy ann doll, too, but I didn't know the story behind the doll. Cool!

Beth Niquette said...

How perfectly lovely. I always wondered where Raggedy Ann and Andy came from! I wonder who actually made the doll, and what the story is behind it?

This was a wonderful blog!

Shyla said...

What a beautiful picture and what gorgeous cards!!!! I love Raggedy Ann.

RA said...

Ow, so cute! Raggedy Ann is a doll ;). Have a wonderful day, Marie :)

Martha said...

Oh my goodness! What a cute little thing you were! Then again you are still so cute - love your profile photo :-)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

OMG!!! What a treat!!! How wonderful is this??? Simply amazing and then the cherry on top a picture of you holding your doll. How deliciously prefect!! Thanks so much for stopping by! You made my day!!!!

Katie said...

You are just too cute! I still have the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls my mom made for me when I was a kid. I can't imagine ever giving them away!

Muthering Heights said...

Awww, I remember my Raggedy Ann and Andy...

Lesley said...

Love this...never knew...and the pic of you and your raggedy ann...priceless...beautiful little face....

Mandala Michelle said...

What a pretty little girl you were. Awwwwwwwww.

Joanna said...

My sister and I used to love reading the Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy stories. We still have those books--they're over fifty years old now.

EG CameraGirl said...

My grandma made me a Raggedy Ann and also a Raggedy Andy. No photo to prove it though!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I came to see your Raggedy post. She just makes me feel good and in a world that wants everything to be perfect she is perfect in her imperfections.

The Raggedy Girl

Debby said...

Oh, you were so sweet. I loved my Raggedy Ann doll, now I wonder where she is? Great post, thanks for sharing.
debby

sunnymama said...

Awww, such a cute photo of you with your Raggedy Ann doll!

fortuitous faery said...

you look adorable! even more than raggedy ann! you have that same cheerful smile!

Lydia said...

When we read in our book that Raggedy Ann and Andy had candy hearts I had the brilliant idea of performing surgery on our dolls, while my little sister cried in protest. It was a huge disappointment to find nothing in their chests but stuffing, and an even huger disappointment that night to be spanked!
You were adorable, and I can definitely say that you really haven't changed much!

phil said...


cute kid! ;)