Seedy Vintage Postcards

An ancient contraception method involved popping a few Siphium seeds.


The large fennel like plant produced distinctively heart shaped pods. This may be how the traditional heart symbol became linked to love.


This is a potato. I think that the hearty and cheesy dish potatoes au gratin is pretty darn romantic myself!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

14 cool cats commented:

Lori said...

I'm such an evil person -- that potato doesn't make me think of a heart so much as... well, body parts... ( 8O

I LOVE clicking on my Vintage Postcards link and finding out what quirky surprise you have each day!

Lori said...

Duh... I just read my comment and remembered that a heart IS a body part. I'm just gonna shut up now.

MuseSwings said...

I heart your potato - and your blog.

Cynthia

Maria said...

Ah, now I see that it is nasturtium, KAPUZINERKRESSE!
I love this flower for its fresh colours and for its funny smell.
Heart shaped potatos! My myhusband often tries French cooking recipies. Lecker!
Thanks for coming over to my place!
Have a nice weekend!

Givinya De Elba said...

What an amazing potato. Thanks for coming by Killing A Fly and leaving a comment!

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I thought what Lori thought - bosoms or bottoms.

Nasturtiums are the plant of my childhood - my brother and I used to use the leaves in all our games. They can "fix" bikes, float on water, feed guinea pigs (well, actually they don't like them), and look very fetching behind the ear.

Your postcards are very interesting! Enjoying your site!

Anonymous said...

A perfect visual reminder that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

David said...

Marie, Love the potatoes au gratin. and as we all know, food is the real way to a man's heart.

Blog Bee said...

That potato is cute!

papel1 said...

Love the potato and the postcards from the past few days are great. Love flowers. Enjoy your weekend.
Judy

Betsy Brock said...

A 'hearty' potato...you are too funny! :)

soulbrush said...

that potato is so coollll

Pat said...

Hi, Marie! One day when it's appropriate for my blog, I will post some photos of odd vegetables I have found on the market here...I have then photographed them with famous works of art they remind me of. Curious? Stay tuned. I love your heart potato. Did you eat it?

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I like the heart-shaped potato!
I've been known to take photos of different shaped fruits and vegetables haha (yay! I'm not the only one!)