Peas on Earth Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards
French aristocratic ladies in 1695 were passionate for peas. It was a typical midnight snack!

(I'll stick to cookies myself) From the court of French King Louis XIV, Madame de Maintenoy wrote to Cardinal de Noailles: ". . . There are some ladies who, having supped, and supped well, take peas at home before going to bed. It's a fashion, a craze!"


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.


14 cool cats commented:

Unknown said...

Very good

Oleanderman said...

Love peas myself but I have a mate who bizarrely is... kind of scared of them! Weird...

Pat said...

I love peas. I eat them off my knife, ha, ha.

David said...

Marie, peas and carrots were a staple at our dinning table when I was growing up.

MuseSwings said...

I served peas a few nights ago. The Mister ate some off of his knife just to see how that worked. It was quite funny. Peas to you Marie!

Ming said...

Peas are tasty and cute. I love the color!

Anonymous said...

Do you still eat fava beans as a snack? Maybe you should switch to peas!

Daryl said...

did you know peas have a very high sugar content? yup. if you ever did the old weight watcher's diet you would know they dont have peas (and several other fruits/veggies) on the diet the first week or two ..

:-Daryl

Greg C said...

I love fresh peas myself. Maybe not before bed time but I do like them.

soulbrush said...

yum yum peas, reminds me of the 'princess and the pea' did you ever read that story as a little girl? I have given you an award for your brilliant blog (see my blog|) hugs.

Starman said...

LOVE peas.

Lori said...

I wonder if they ate them raw when they had them as a bedtime snack?

Jacob was a pod of peas for his first Halloween (at 2 weeks of age). Talk about sweet peas! :)

Anonymous said...

So, I guess there is some truth to the tale of 'the princess and the pea'... I had always thought it was written by a mattress salesman!

Anonymous said...

Peas are the best - especially if you are trying to demonstrate your dexterity with a fork. If using a knife, I highly recommend honey to made those peas stay put.