Cafe au Lait Vintage Postcard


It's true. French people drink their morning coffee from bowls.



I understand Francois' bowl usage rationale. They hold more coffee and it's much easier to dip your croissant into a bowl as opposed to a mug. But... after two years of experiencing this daily habit of his I still crack up. It's a bowl for goodness sakes!




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards antique postcards

15 cool cats commented:

M.K. said...

That's one of the many things I loved dearly about being in France (20 years ago!) I also loved drinking Cinzano before meals. I can only find the red here, sadly.

Katie said...

I prefer my coffee in a big mug with a handle. I know, I know, that's SO American. I'd love to taste a bit of that milk in the postcard though. It's probably pretty fresh!

Pat said...

I have a small collection of French "coffee" bowls that I've accumulated. I always think I'm going to sip my coffee from a bowl, French-style, but never do...or else just during the first three days after a return from Paris...

Thanks for offering to fry fish on "my" restaurant. I'm not bad at doing good fries, not greasy, so who knows?

jenny said...

are there bowls specifically for coffee in France? How are they different than soup bowls?

I've had the experience of drinking tea in the French mornings. Not only was it strange, but difficult, because the bowl got really really hot!

With drinking from bowls, you can only have one thing in your hands, so your breakfast takes longer, but with a mug, you can have it in one hand and eat your toast or croissant in the other and get out the door faster... oh, that's pretty American too :).

jenny said...

By the way, I've used a very large open mug that looked like a bowl with handles. But i still needed to use two hands!

Lori said...

I would make such a mess with that! I'd have to have my coffee bowl & bib. But they would probably match so that would be cute.

David said...

I'm more a mug kind of guy. I like my coffee hot and such a big container might tend to cool down the coffee faster. But, when in Rome, never pass up an opportunity to try something new.

David said...

Marie, I love the postcard. Sitting outside the house, your favorite works of art on display along with the milk containers straight from the milking shed.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the bowl helps it cool off faster too, since a bowl is more open than a mug?

I've often had my coffee in a bowl (sometimes with a handle) - but I am an uncouth American and I drink cafe au lait all day long!!

Anonymous said...

Cafe au lait! Reminds me of the last time I was served at the Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Instead of the expected suggestion of cafe au lait and beignets, the waiter asked if we "wanted coffee and donuts" in a very strong New York accent. Some special something was lost that day - very sad.

papel1 said...

I am drinking my coffee right now, but in a John Deere Mug. Then I will go work in the garden.
Judy

Betsy Brock said...

I can't figure out how they don't burn their fingers!

Maria said...

Thanks for coming over!
The bowl looks nice but it is very unusual for me to drink coffee from a bowl. But it makes sense if you want to dip your croissant. But I think that French breakfast coffee is very light - I prefer stronger coffee! Italian espresso!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I must admit, a big mug with a sturdy handel is my prefered choice. The coffee and the croisant though i prefer to be french.

soulbrush said...

ha ha this was one of the funniest things i saw in paris when we visited there, these huge bowls, maybe they are to keep the hands warm too.