No Blue Ruffs Allowed!

vintage postcards

For some reason Queen Elizabeth took against blue ruffs. It was her majesty's pleasure that no blue starch be used or worn by any of her subjects. Ruffs actually came in many colors.



They were tinted with vegetable dyes at the starching stage. Colored ruffs are rarely visible in portraits because of later restorers' conviction that all ruffs were ivory. They 'cleaned' the neckwear until the offending color was gone.

There are no vintage postcards in this post but it is definately quirky:)

17 cool cats commented:

Anonymous said...

Marie,
Queen Elizabeth was very much the clothes horse and was indeed particular about what she wore - I didn't know about the blue ruffs though. Elizabeth is definitely someone that I would have loved to have known in person. What a gal!

David said...

Marie - the pains we suffer in the mane of fashion. This look so uncomfortable. When I become King, I'm going to outlaw Flip-Flops.

Katie said...

What an outfit! And very interesting about the ruffs; I had no idea (as usual). I'm glad I don't have to think about packing outfits like this for my trip! Talk about paying extra for additional baggage!

M.K. said...

And how in the world would she scratch a pesky itch on her tummy? It would take a major excavation.

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm intrigued with anything "Elizabeth"!

Uh, oh...don't tell King David about my flip-flops.

Maria said...

If I were Queen, I would allow everything! How about that?

papel1 said...

Queen Elizabeth sure looks uncomfortable. I wouldn't have wanted to be her Lady in Waiting and dress her.
Judy

Starman said...

If you're interested in the US Presidential election, check this (you may have to click it a couple of times): http://www.inews3.com/play.php?first=Bob&last=Spencer

Daryl said...

I bet Liz was lefthanded ...

Neat and quirky!

:-Daryl

soulbrush said...

yup she sure was a queer one! but far more interesting than the present elizabeth!

Betsy Brock said...

I think those ruffs would give me claustrophobia! :)

Vodka Mom said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cool historical facts. merci!

MuseSwings said...

Interesting about the ruffs! Isn't her signature lovely?

marc aurel said...

My poor, sweet demented mother is convinced that she knew her. Earlier in her life, my mother knew the period well through history books and Shakespear scholarship.

Unknown said...

In those days things were pretty ridiculous and it appears signatures were also strange..LOL!

Lori said...

What is that on her left arm?? Is it a pet mouse or an accessory or what?

Jane Hards Photography said...

Another mad bat Royal person. It's the in breeding that does it.