Drinking the Sea Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards
'Ce
n'est pas la mer à boire' is quite the beaut when it comes to French expressions.



It's means (loosely translated) Chin up! At least you don't have to drink the ocean:) Drinking just mug of saltwater would be horrific enough...


I'd much rather splish and splash in my salty water like in this vintage postcard.


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.


10 cool cats commented:

soulbrush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
soulbrush said...

now i know why they say 'chin up'. i learn so much from these postcards and enjoy them so much. what a shock about bibi, i will go to her blog and leave her my thoughts. thanks for letting me know.

Webradio said...

Bonjour !

Elles sont TRES jolies Tes vieilles photos !

David said...

Marie, I've never been swimming in the ocean. I'm a freshwater guy, having spent my life on the shores of Lake Michigan.

M.K. said...

THAT is a very impressive splash!! The ocean is so beautiful.

French sayings are so interesting. I like to read them every time you post them. I'll have to use that one on my students next time they whine about a quiz!

Betsy Brock said...

Those are beautiful! And there's nothing worse than a big gulp of ocean water going down your throat!

Tess Kincaid said...

That is a typical French phrase! Nice card!! :)

MuseSwings said...

Lovely! I shall drink my water unsalted, thank you! La mer est si belle

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats body surfing in Southern California...although it has been a few years (a few decades) I know that I would still enjoy it. Just waiting for that big wave to come along...

Katie said...

Glad I don't have to drink sea water, OR wear a big dress when I dip my toes in the ocean like these ladies are doing! Salty post all around!