Flip Flop History

vintage postcards

In America, the first flip flops started to appear after World War II as soldiers brought Japanese zori back from the war as souvenirs.


The Nihon fuuzokushi jiten (Encyclopedia of the History of Japanese Manners and Customs) reports the wide use of zori in Japan from at least the Heian period (794-1185). Japanese children have traditionally worn them when learning to walk. (This is understandable because I always trip in mine... what a learning curve)

9 cool cats commented:

Maria said...

Hello, good (Sunday) morning! Oh that is funny that you made flip flops your theme! Interesting history :) I did'nt know they came from Japan! But they are unsed all over the globe now, I think. The furry ones are the first I've seen for wintertime (brrr). You may copy the picture!

Lori said...

Flip flops were headed for world domination... but were foiled by CROCS! :)

David said...

Marie, thanks for the history lesson. Isn't it funny how we adopt from other cultures? But, when I become King, I'm still going to ban them.

M.K. said...

Marie - you naughty girl! "Flip Flop History" - is that a subtle assessment of American politicians?? ha!!

(Oh, and speaking of Crocs - did y'all know that they now have snazzy, high-heeled crocs??)

Vodka Mom said...

damn those crocs- long live the flip flop!!!

Betsy Brock said...

Flip flops are wonderful, aren't they! I live in them all summer! And in the spring, they are a wonderful excuse for that first beautiful pedicure! :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Interesting post, Marie! I had my first pair of little pink ones at three and have loved them ever since. I will have to live outside of King David's kingdom.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I actually remember when flip flops were referred to as zori's. How's that for dating myself!

Starman said...

I never could wear them. That strap between my toes was too uncomfortable.