Vintage Postcards heart Grammar

Help!!! Where are the grammar police when I need them!


I made a nifty new blog for my Mom. lizzylindquist.blogspot.com
All of these html courses are finally starting to pay off! I might even start a side business designing blogs:)


But.... is it Elisabeth with an 'S' or Elisabeth with a 'S'. You would think that since 'S' is not a vowel you wouldn't say an. But say it out loud, 'Elisabeth with a S.' Something sounds off kilter! What is the grammar rule?


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

11 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

I'd use "an," since linguistically "s" begins with a vowel (eh!) Otherwise it's like saying "a apple." Believe it or not, I read somewhere that our word "apron," which comes from the French "napperon" used to be a "napron" or something like that, and eventually was written as "an apron." Hmmm. I've heard some people say "a historic event," and others say "an historic event," depending on how they pronounce "historic," with an aspirated "h" or not! On and on and on.....

soulbrush said...

agree with bibi, definitely 'an ess'. i'd love to dreaa like that maybe just for a week, wouldn't that be cool?
lucky mom, nifty new blog.

David said...

Potato or potatoe. I saw Dan Quayle on the news the other night and remembered his great spelling mistake.

Lori said...

Yes, "an S" because it sounds like it starts with a vowel. "An ess"...

Your mom's blog is SO CUTE!! That header is the most adorable one I've seen (besides, y'know, the one on my blog. :) ) Do let me know if you start designing blogs for other people!

Daryl said...

Its the vowel thing .. like/as the others have pointed out .. but I would like to correct you on another thing .. its not where IS the grammar police .. its where ARE the grammar police .. why? Because grammar police is pural ..when used the way you used it ...

:-Daryl

Marie Reed said...

Yaeh! I love all of these red pens!

M.K. said...

You choose according to the sound of the letter. So, you would say, "Please type an "x."

I prefer the spelling "Elisabeth" with an "s." That is my daughter's middle name. I got it from a dear friend, but she goes by "Lissy."

Jane Hards Photography said...

Can I be confusing a chip in with the Z version. I am always mindfull of peoeple's names. However I think the sound should be I bow to the fact it is their name to mispronounce as they see fit.

Dan Quayle was so dumb. He may have scots ancetory, but Quayle is one of the oldest Manx names.

Anonymous said...

I agree - S is pronounced 'ess', so I use an....and as bibi mentioned, I would also say 'a historic event'.

Katie said...

Great blog you've set up for your Mom! It'll be fun to watch her get her feet wet in blogville.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

fun question: "an ess" is my choice over "a s"

I looked to see your mom's blog you designed, but it is not showing.

(hmmm, I am commenting, but wonder if you know a comment was left or since these are past posts, do any comments made now, just go out in the great blue airways?)