More Vintage Typhoo Tea Postcards

The name for the famous British tea Typhoo is a bit too close to typhoid in my opinion.


That's a bit frightening! Abigail Adams, Wilbur Wright, and Ellen O'Hara all died of typhoid fever.

Editor: Ellen O'Hara is a fictional character from Gone with the Wind. She's not a real person.

Marie: You're such a stickler!


As a fact, the name Typhoo came from the Chinese word for "doctor" (traditional Chinese: 大夫, hanyu pinyin : dai fu). Go figure.

Here are some wonderfully British Typhoo Tea adverts:)





Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

11 cool cats commented:

M.K. said...

Oh, those commercials were funny!! I got my morning giggle.

Please tell your editor that ALL those GWTW characters are very real to me :)

Anonymous said...

My favorite line in GWTW is at the very end when Scarlett says "I'll think about that tomorrow - after all - tomorrow is another day." I often use this as a parting line to my co-workers after a stressful day at work. Got to run - tea time!

Anonymous said...

Marie, those commercials are hilarious. I love British humor - so dry and clever. I wonder if we can we get typhoo in the states?

Pat said...

Am about to check out your little video. I'm actually having a cup of Earl Grey right now!

Lori said...

Typhoo sounds like a kind of martial art to me. Like, the kind where you sneeze on your opponent.

Daryl said...

I thought you were ref'g to the word typo .. typhoo .. whatever

Meanwhile the girl looks like you!

:-Daryl

Starman said...

Loved the commercials.

Ming said...

Hoot! Hoot! That cup is cute!

MuseSwings said...

After you finish your Ty-Phoo tea stop by my blog. I have an award for you!

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I love the cup - the owl motif is really cute. I'm not so sure about the tea though.... Maybe I've had too much Chinese herbal medicine to appreciate the reference.

I'd be more concerned with the length of that little girl's skirt - I certainly wouldn't be riding a bike in something that short!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Oh no I remember these adverts. How embarressing. This is perhaps why I am a big coffeholic now.