The Wright Brother's Toys - Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards

In 1878 Orville and Wilbur Wright's father, who traveled often as a bishop in the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, brought home a toy "helicopter" for his two younger sons. The device was based on an invention of French aeronautical pioneer Alphonse Penaud. Made of paper, bamboo and cork with a rubber band to twirl its rotor, it was about a foot long. The brothers played with it until it broke, then built their own. In later years, they pointed to their experience that toy as the initial spark of their interest in flying

I wonder what Orville and Wilbur Wright would have said about this Playmobil security check point toy?
I have 9 Wright brother vintage postcards in my CPAPHIL.COM shop. Come browse through history!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

12 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

This info was snatched directly from Wikipedia:)

Pat said...

Gosh, Playmobil sure is on the ball with up-to-date toys. I wonder if the set comes with contraband goods that can be seized, and a little jail for the offender.

The Blonde Duck said...

I think the toys are cute!

Anonymous said...

hahhaha.

Thanks for commenting on my blog - I wouldn't have found you otherwise and I love your blog!

I did an EBay search with my maiden name and found this postcard from the early 1900's. It was a family standing in front of their headstone business. Who the heck would make a postcard of that?!

5th Belle Avenue said...

Thank you for your post! And what an AWESOME blog!! It's so fun and unique!! Thanks for a good read. :o)

Tess Kincaid said...

Our Ohio license plates say "Birthplace of Aviation" thanks to the Wright brothers.

Starman said...

Playmobil security check point toy? That's just toooooo funny!

Anna Lefler said...

OMG, I have to show my son your Playmobil security checkpoint - he'll love that!

And that postcard is super-cool...

Happy Friday!

:^) Anna

Lynda said...

What a fun blog! Here via SITS :-)

Sparky said...

Cute postcard. :o) My husband and I love aviation history. Gosh, A Security Checkpoint toy! That's a sign of the times, isn't it? [sigh]

PS: I've posted about my impending surgery. Got any postcards with doctors and/or hospitals on them? :o) ♥ ∞

Pietro Brosio said...

Very fine postcard, and that Playmobil security check point toy is so interesting and funny!
Have a nice weekend!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ooh naughty girl wiki thief. I have refrained from that now. Ae these like UK play people? I used to throw them out of my bedroom window with a home made parachute. Didn't work. On a sensible note interesting info. You would do well in British PUB QUIZ.