Polly's Vintage Postcard Valentine

vintage postcards

I had an African Grey Parrot as a child who could say my name! He usually did it at night and in a spooky fashion. Mariiiiee! Mariiiiiie! Mariiiiee! Yep. I was fowl - y terrorized. He was not my Valentine:)


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

12 cool cats commented:

Natalie said...

That is a gorgeous little post card, Marie. Cute story too. :D

Maria said...

A very nice postcard, Marie! We had stuffed owls and hawks and buzzards in our attic, and as the light was very bad there, it was extremely spooky!
Have a nice Sunday!

M.K. said...

Ooh - that's too spooky! How did you sleep through that?

lorhen82 said...

That's hilarious...and creepy! LOL ~Lori

50sgal said...

I just got a pet budgie. It seemed the right thing to do here in 1955 and she has stolen my heart. Nice blog. Lucky you, living in France, I want to return again sometime.

Pat said...

I love Valentine's Day. I would still buy those little packs of cards for kids if I were in the uS.

Isn't it funny how perhaps at that time "alone" rymed with "none"? Or perhaps it's just a sight rhyme. (See text on card.)

ChaChaneen said...

Ad-or-ab-le card! Sounds like your bird was a little stinker! ha ha

Marie Reed said...

He was a stinker.:).. But... there was a huge earthquake in California where I grew up. He flew off his perch and into my arms. I rushed under a table where he let me hold him to my chest and pet him! He had NEVER let anybody touch him before that day. It was amazing!

Sparky said...

I don't think I'd care to have a bird calling my name either! Yipes. I had a pet Parakeet named "Billy" as a teen but he never would mimic speech. Poor thing flew into a closed window one day and I haven't kept a caged bird since. ♥ ∞

lorhen82 said...

Awww...that's sweet that he wanted you to hold him during the earthquake!

Anonymous said...

How sweet!!!

Lori said...

I ♥ this postcard
Thanks for stopping by me :)