The Great Paris Flood of 1910 Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards

During the Great Paris Flood of 1910 wooden walkways (you might want to enlarge this vintage postcard image for an even closer look) were set up by the government. The water flooded the basements of the Louvre. The water rushed through the newly built métro (subway) system. About 1 million people were displaced from their homes!


The Latin motto of Paris is, 'Fluctuat nec Megitur - She is tossed by the waves, but is not sunk' The city of lights certainly proved it in 1910!

I have 116 cards from this flood in my CPAPHIL.com shop! Come browse through history!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

14 cool cats commented:

Natalie said...

Hi! nice to meet you. Had a laugh at your Wella ad. I remember it well, used to love the smell! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I saw your Facebook status comment and wanted to come and have a look at the postcard. How interesting and quirky!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome blog...!!!! very.. very.. excited....

The Blonde Duck said...

That's such a cool card. Stopped in from SITS!

Daryl said...

Neat ... now explain how you link the topic in your post to the Facebook account?

Marcel said...

Hi Marie, yes the flue did bite me, but I am up and running again!

Thanks for your comment.. :)

Starman said...

Paris flooded? It's always something, isn't it?

Tess Kincaid said...

Amazing post card. I didn't realize there was so much destruction of Paris in that flood.

Sparky said...

My goodness, that must have been terrible for those folks! I hope that things have been done so that Paris will never flood again. You can't fight water (I know, I grew up near the ocean in Titusville, Florida). I'll have to check the other postcards too. :o) ♥ ∞

Star Forbis said...

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog today & Laughing with me.
Come back anytime.

Anonymous said...

Amazing postcard! I didn't know that Paris had extreme flooding in the past - those walkways look awfully high!

marc aurel said...

I was a kid in Paris when they had less severe flooding. 54 or 55, I think. The Seine was really high.

Pat said...

We had major flooding here a couple of years ago. People even drove motorboats on one street with water skiers behind.

Anonymous said...

Love looking at your site! Wow! Terrific gallery of history.