Vintage Postcard Shrimping - Pecheuse de Crevettes


The Shrimp by Ogden Nash

space

A shrimp who sought his lady shrimp
Could catch no glimpse
Not even a glimp.
At times, translucence
Is rather a nuisance.



Shrimp are feisty 10 legged crustaceons who were certainly no match for this proud woman's net!

space

I have 23 shrimping cards in my CPAPHIL.com shop:) Come browse through history!

space

Come join Aileni's Monochrome Monday!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS


·

18 cool cats commented:

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ok this is so cool. I came through your facebook link. Shrimps, surrounded by them, no I mean chimps, well actually both. I nned to check out the postcards on the island.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a cheerful shrimper on this postcard! A great one in monochrome! A sense of timelessness!

ChaChaneen said...

Bless her heart, she almost looks like she is smiling in the photo. UGH! I am so not pioneer girl, it makes me laugh.

And look at her toes, you can tell she has gone years barefoot.

michael bird said...

Funky rhyme to go with a funky photo/postcard. Nifty.

Sparky said...

That'll totally do it ... the net, I mean. I grew up on coastal Florida. We always dip netted our shrimp. We used kerosene lights hanging off our small boats at night and dipped the nets in the cool, clean, running river. It was exhausting but lots of fun. The fresh shrimp was tasty too. YUM! ♥ ∞

Betsy Brock said...

Now she just needs some cocktail sauce! yum! ...peel 'n eat!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie. I just wanted to let you know I'm still trying to get you added to my blog roll. Because I'm using the old "classic template" I'm having to use HTML and I know just enough of that to be dangerous. Now it seems I've hit a snag. When I add you or, anyone else the link keeps going back to my blog although it's a different URL address. ??? Keep your fingers crossed! I'm trying.

Oh and I'm mailing out your package on Tuesday.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love this one! It reminds me of a Beauguereau painting.

Anonymous said...

Nice historical note. Doesn't look a bit like the hulking guys who shrimp around here.

Joe Narvaez said...

I like old postcards and pictures. What a nice mono this is.

The Blonde Duck said...

She's a lot happier than I would be about catching shrimp.

Paul Godin said...

Love old post cards. This one seems to be in good shape. I've come across a series from the early 1900's from my home town that I'm contemplating on buying.

MuseSwings said...

Mmmm shrimp! Sounds like a good thing to have for dinner tonight....

Indie said...

It's a great old photo of a woman after a hard day of working. And the poem is adorable--the nuisance of translucence. LOL!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and saying hi. I had so much fun here. I went through all your old posts. I love the old postcards and your writting is wonderful. Made me laugh.

Hugs,
Joanne

Unknown said...

Very cute! I just stopped by to say thank you for visiting and entering in my giveaway! It's so nice to meet you. You have a darling blog! :)

Rika said...

Wonderful postcard!

Catherine said...

I've seen this post before but I didn't realize it was your Monochrome ! Given you post usually many Black and White postcards.
Her costume is simple but I note that she keeps a kind of lace headdress to stay elegant !