Roman Mustard Makers

vintage postcards

The Romans probably developed the prepared mustards we know today. They mixed unfermented grape juice, known as 'must' with ground mustard seeds (called sinapis) to make "burning must", mustum ardens—hence "must ard".


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

12 cool cats commented:

Marcel said...

You have an interesting blog! I took some time to check it out, some postings gave me a good laugh.
Cheers from Marcel

Pat said...

Love the etymology of mustard...I've always just enjoyed the stuff, especially the Dijon one, but never thought about the word's origin.

Devon Coles said...

I think anyone today who calls it mustum ardens is likely waaaay to old to cut the mustard any more, hehehe.

Vodka Mom said...

Marie- that was very, very cool! I love Grey Poupon Mustard, but not the bright yellow ones!!

xox

Betsy Brock said...

I never knew! And what a pretty vintage card to show all the varieties!

Sparky said...

That's such a pretty card!
It's funny you should discuss this, because I'm a self-professed mustard connoisseur. :o) To me, there's nothing dresses up a hotdog, baloney or any similiar meat like mustard. [drool] Right now I'm hooked on the brand Woeber's (pronounced "Webbers") Sweet & Spicy Mustard. It's part of their Sandwich pal series.
OK, now I'm hungry and it's too early to eat ... [lol] ♥ ∞

Daryl said...

I love knowing this and I am not all that about mustard ... but it goes well with info!

Starman said...

Where do you get all you information? Do you have a built-in computer in your brain?

Notes from Noël said...

I love your blog!! Great info!

Leesa has been encouraging me for months to start a blog.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog!

Animesh said...

Great post! In India, we do not use mustard sauce for dipping, but use it for pretty much all else :). Mustard oil for massage and cooking, mustard seeds/paste in the curries ... mmm makes me think of the wonderful fish curry mom made when I was there...

Anyways, I was saying, great post and great blog!

-A

soulbrush said...

interesting (again), altho i don't like mustard.

Retro Heather said...

Good to know! Explains why I smell musty after I eat it.