British Blackcurrant History

vintage postcards

During World War II, most fruits rich in vitamin C became almost impossible to obtain in the United Kingdom. Blackcurrants grow like weeds in the UK climate so the government decided to encourage the planting of the crop.



During wartime blackcurrant cordial (what a vitamin packed cocktail) was distubuted to the nation's children for free. Blackcurrant flavourings have been popular in the UK ever since! Enjoy the Big Ben vintage postcard:)

I have 874 vintage postcards from London in my CPAPHIL.com shop! Come browse through history!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

19 cool cats commented:

MuseSwings said...

The ideas that came out of WWI and WWII are so fascinating! Blackberry cordial for vitamin C. Brilliant! Another wonderful and fascinating post, my friend.

Kindred Roses said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love vintage cards and postcards. Looks like you have found some great ones.
Have a great day. Julie

Mescrap said...

OOh. I like blackcurrant too.

Daryl said...

Fascinating ... I am reading The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society .. set in post war London its a must read ..

Devon Coles said...

I like mine as Cassis . . . mmmm.

Catherine said...

A famous sirup is also made with Blackcurrants near Dijon, no ?
You can add it to the previous post ; )

Tess Kincaid said...

I got a lovely jar of Black Currant preserves for Christmas. I'm saving it for a boring grey winter day...like today, actually!

Leah Kleylein said...

I fell in love with black currant jam (and juices) while traveling in the UK years ago. I never knew why I didn't see it in the US - apparently growing black currants was banned in the early 20th century because some mold or something that lived on them affected the timber industry? Or something like that. It's slowly starting to pop up in different states now, thank goodness!!!

Betsy Brock said...

What a fun, delicious way to get vitamin C. Interesting that black currants grow like weeds in the UK!
I think this fruit is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

A lot of folk enjoy the old postcards - particularly when they are the same scene brought up to date.
You may not be able to do that but I guess there is room enough for your approach without me going all purist on you.
Welcome.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to say hi! Love your blog, especially your blog banner.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Marie!!! You won. Just send me your mailing address to: oliverue@yahoo.com and I will get it on the mail tomorrow. Thanks for playing and for the comments.

Sparky said...

I never knew that! For some time I have wondered why blackcurrant was so popular in England, now I know! Thanks! Excellent post Marie. ♥ ∞

Starman said...

I've never been to England.

Cottage Way of Life said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Good thing for me you googled postcards and as a result, happened upon my post about ... a postcard! Because, that led me to your blog about ... postcards! :-)

I'm loving looking at your vintage cards, so interesting.

soulbrush said...

all true, soooo british looking isn't it?

marc aurel said...

After the war, the Labour government insisted that we children should get free vitamin C, which came to us in delicious orange juice. I remember stealing my little brother's. Later, in Paris, Cassis a l'eau was my standard drink whenever I was lucky enough to be taken to a cafe with grown-ups.

Marie Reed said...

Now you know what to get your brother for his next birthday.. bottles and bottles of OJ to make up for your delinquency:)

Draffin Bears said...

I have enjoyed my visit to your blog, thank you.

Black currant jam is the best and love it on toast, that tart flavour is so good.

Have a great day
Carolyn