Humming 'Sur le Pont D'Avignon'

ntage postcards
Every French child sings the beloved song 'Sur le Pont d'Avignon - On the Avignon Bridge' in nursery school and wants to dance on it!


The bridge's construction (1171 - 1185) was inspired by a local shepherd boy who was commanded by angels to build a bridge across the Rhone river. He was ridiculed until he dramaticaly 'proved' his divine inspiration by miraculously lifting a huge block of stone!

I have 55 Pont D'Avignon Vintage Postcards in my CPAPHIL.com shop. Come browse through history!

Here's a kitschy French Jean Sablone singing the song for you:)

17 cool cats commented:

The Blonde Duck said...

The French song cracks me up for some reason. I'm not very cultured, I guess.

Marie Reed said...

It cracks me up too! This version is pure kitsch:) It's much cuter when little French kids sing it!

Pat said...

It is kind of corny, but the little kids in my French class love it.

Betsy Brock said...

How fun! Although I couldn't tell what he was saying, the tune will be stuck in my head all day! :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Thanks for the smiles! Love your Valentine-y new look!

lorhen82 said...

Yeah, I'll bet it didn't sound quite that way when the children in the photo sang it! Fun stuff! ~Lori

Catherine said...

Tou taught me something ! I have no idea of the origin of the bridge construction.

Starman said...

Cute story about the boy and le pont.

Pietro Brosio said...

Sur le pont
d'Avignon
on y danse on y danse,
sur le pont
d'Avignon
on y danse tous en rond...


C'est comme ça? ;-)

Marie Reed said...

Perfect Pietro! Those are the words!!!

Daryl said...

Je danse! .. adorable

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie! That's too cute. Oh....please don't kill me, but I didn't get your package mailed out until yesterday and because of the delay I threw in an adorable vintage rhinestone, brooch. It's missing some rhinestones but that gives it more charm I think. Please let me know when you get it. I always worry about things going internationally.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
How to know that postcard is a vintage? Is it via how old it is? Or just by the year it made?

Anonymous said...

I loved your song and the postcards too. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you will come back soon. I love to do the pottery work. I started some more yesterday.
Smiles,
Pat

Sparky said...

I have clue what he said but it was fun! :o) I wish I spoke French. It's a pretty language.
Sparky ♥ ∞

Anonymous said...

Love the postcard and the song!

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Very cool! I love those old French videos. Thanks for the history lesson too.