816 Notre Dame Vintage Postcards - Crown of Thorns History

vintage postcards

Notre Dame in Paris houses a piece of Jesus' crown of thorns. The relic is actually thornless. The unstinting Louis IX gave the holy spikes away as gifts.



The Emperor of Constantinople (1239 - 41) sold the crown for an extortionate sum of mullah to Louis during the lucky number 7 crusade. A special mass is held every first Friday of the month to present the relic. You can actually go see it!

I have 816 Notre Dame vintage postcards in my CPAPHIL.COM shop! Come browse through history!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

16 cool cats commented:

Catherine said...

Once again, you taught me something Mary. Living in Paris I didn't know that ! Interesting post.

Marie Reed said...

I just read about it recently! I'm planning on going this Friday for this first time:)

Vodka Mom said...

I LOVE coming here!!!

Marilyn said...

Ah...Mary...great post. I can't wait to be back in Paris!

Pamposh Dhar said...

Wow, I had no idea. Have been to Notre Dame several times, even attended a service there once (beautiful), but had never heard of this. Thanks for posting this.

Tess Kincaid said...

Fascinating!

ChaChaneen said...

Oooh I wished I live in Europe some days, I would be there in a flash. I love history stuff like that!

ChaChaneen said...

ha ha ha That got me laughing! I must confess, I recently (sunday) bought a bag of frozen buritto's and when I grabbed the bag I thought of you. I've been home with my girl this week as she as been sick and I've had 1 everyday for lunch. Almost went back for a 2nd serving and said Nope, don't do it, just another 240 calories you don't need and Marie can't have. ha ha

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love visiting you because I always learn something very interesting! My kids always want to see your blog too!

Starman said...

You know I'm a non-believer, n’est-ce pas?

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Hi Marie Isabelle,
Vintage Paris, what could be better? I left a little something over at Oasis Writing Link for you. Please come over and pick it up! <3

love said...

HI Marie, I'm going to have to come to Paris to see for myself!
I would love to shoot a destination wedding there someday. It would be a certain miracle.

The Blonde Duck said...

When I was in elementary school it took me the longest time to figure out Notre Dame really didn't have a hunchback living in it.

Sparky said...

That's a beautiful postcard and very interesting about the relic. ♥ ∞

Amy Sutter said...

Thank you for leaving a post on my bog, I am certainly glad to meet you!! I will certainly be back :-)
Blessings,
Amy Sutter

The Rev. said...

Those are absolutely stunning!

J'adore!