Poisson D'Avril - April Fool's in France

vintage postcards
April Fool's Day in France is a fishy fête called Poisson D'Avril (April's Fish)! It's celebrated by trying to sneakingly tape fish cutouts onto the backs of your friends. I celebrated by eating a nice salmon steak smothered in a creamy lemon - dill sauce.

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

20 cool cats commented:

Beth Niquette said...

Really? I had NO idea there was such an April Fools tradition in France such as you describe.

(guffaw)

How quaint! Your celebration meal sounds DELISH!

(grin)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

That is funny! You are a silly goose! lol!

Linda Hughes said...

Just learned about the fish this morning on "The View." Joy Bayhar mentioned your April Fools' Day tradition. Love the postcard!

Katie said...

Awesome postcard. I still don't get the April fish thing, but some things about the French are best left unfigured-out.

Shey said...

Funny postcard! Here comes your knight in shining..ahh...flying fish! hehehe.

Pamposh Dhar said...

How interesting. And what amazing cards you have!

claude said...

Pretty card ! A flying fish ! I like salmon with dutch sauce. I cook sometimes a champagne salmon. Very good taste.

Marie Reed said...

Isn't this fish a bit freaky!

Pat said...

Yum. I just LOVE to stick paper fish on people. My French classes and I used to do that....

Miss_Yves said...

Funny postcard !

Catherine said...

Not the most beautiful fish I've met, I prefer them in chocolate.
We've begun to eat some at home.

Sparky said...

I don't know ... that sounds fishy to me ... [giggle]
What a cute tradition! :o)

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, April Fool's Day is celebrated in the same way here in Italy! The postcard is very funny!
Capuchin Franciscan Friars are a Catholic religious Order founded by Saint Francis of Assisi. Then cappuccino in Italian means café crème too! :-)

Eddy said...

what a funny flying fish.
is it a salmon ? if no, at what time can we come to dinner ?
We like salmon with lemon cream ;)

Starman said...

I like your way better.

twinkle teaches said...

We celebrated this in French class in high school! It was fun sticking the fish cut out on backs. :) tina

Mescrap said...

Thanks for the infor.
I learn so much from you.

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Yum!!! What a fascinating fact about France. Here we just play practical jokes on each other and tell lies. It's fun!

Mary Anne said...

Firsz time I have heard of such custom in France. Truly interesting :)

Jane Hards Photography said...

That is just wild and barking as usual.