Sauerkraut Dreams Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards

I have a pretty bizarre midnight snack problem. I crave sauerkraut! I've been cracking open cans of Champagne kraut and zapping them. A big steaming bowl of this stinky goodness is not winning me any goodnight kisses! My vintage postcard dame is holding up a plateful of my nightly nourishment along with a few sausages:)


Come join in the Vintage Thingey Thusday fun!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

40 cool cats commented:

MuseSwings said...

A midnight snack. That's interesting. I do enjoy sauerkraut but I think eating it after 6:00 PM would be like a death sentence for me. Congrats on your constitution!

Pietro Brosio said...

Very heavy snack, Marie: and what about nightmares?... :-)

Marie Reed said...

Nightmares! So that's why I've been dreaming about man -eating sausages chasing me!

Catherine said...

Have you noticed they present on the can label, olives with the sauerkraut ? Never seen that combination before.
And you're right, Marie, craves exists to crack for them.

Marie Reed said...

They are grapes :) I actually pick them out before I eat it! There is another variety that has bits of bacon in it that is heavenly though!

claude said...

A sauerkraut with no sausages is not a sauerkraut.
I ate one in germany with small pieces of pineapple and pork meat and sausages. Natürlich !
My german language is not phenomenal !!!

Mike said...

Making me crave sauerkraut. ;)

Debrina said...

Hey, hello - thanks for dropping on by and leaving your lovely comment! Never ever tried sauerkraut myself...not sure it's a kiwi thing.

Veronica Lee said...

I still haven't acquired the taste for sauerkraut!!!
Have you tried korean 'kimchi'?

Unknown said...

You wouldn't be winning friends with me, either, although I like sauerkraut I don't want to smell it in the middle of the night!

Susan Cook said...

I've actually never even tried it before. Great postcard.

Betsy Brock said...

Hmmmm...if you start paring it with icecream, we are all going to begin to wonder! Or is that pickles and icecream....

Lady Farmer said...

Hello Marie Reed!
Thanks for visiting me in The Pantry! I hope you didn't come looking for sauerkraut! I grew up on my Grandparents farm, and Grandma was German and made her own kraut! I hated the smell then and can't eat it now! :~O
You are my first "international" visitor! I do hope you come visit again ~ you can find me any of my six blogs~ depending on my current activity!
Bon Apetit!

Sheila said...

Unusual cravings, hmm, I see.... :)

But it's a lovely card you have there. I hadn't realised sauerkraut was popular in France for quite so long. For some reason I thought it was a recent thing, but of course I realise now it would be popular along the border.

I'm happy to hear your son is recovering.

Margo said...

Hi Marie! Thanks for visiting me so I learn about you and your interesting blog!!! I will be there:)

Jan Ely said...

Ok, you're right, this is strange and I have to say "Eeewww!" but that postcard is delicious!

Sarah said...

I love your old postcards and don't mind the sauerkraut either!

ClassyChassy said...

I like the gal with the big bow, below the kraut! She's really something else!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Mine at the moment is Coleslaw!!! I cant get enough of it. Ive never tried sauerkraut, I think Mr Kitten would leave me if I started eating it as he cant even look at it. X

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

midnight snack? gosh thats heavy.. but then who cares.. self indulgence is the name especially when a dame as pretty as in the card accompany you!! hehehehe Happy VTT..

Shari said...

I love, love, love your blog!!! Did I say love enough times??? So glad you stumbled onto my Blog which brought me over to yours---I am now a follower and you are on my Blog list.
-hugs, shari xoxox

Pearl said...

Ohhh Marie...
You crack me up!

I confess to enjoying the same "stinky goodness" as well... What can I say?!

Thanks for stopping by to check on me the other day... You're a Sweetheart... ~hugs~

~blessings~Pearl

Irene said...

O dear! I'm a sauerkraut junkey as well. Ever had it on Pizza, it's great! But this time my cravings are more like Oranges, vast amounts.

Barbara Jean said...

Thanks fro coming by and leaving a comment.
RE the coupon form my husband: I have redeemed it many times over the years. =0)

Love your old postcards on your blog.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Postcardy said...

I love your postcard. Can you translate it? I like a little sauerkraut--that much would make me sick and give me bad dreams. My mother used to tell a story about her brother who took a lot of sauerkraut to eat on a Boy Scout camping trip. You can guess what happened.

When I saw your post early this morning, I went to Vintage Thingies Thursdays and decided to join the fun. First, I made a smaller version of the banner to use.

Carrie said...

I can recall eating sauerkrat in New York with hot dogs. Nice memory...

Stephanie said...

hahahah this post mad me laugh out loud. Love that postcard! I'm Polish - so trust me - lovin the kraut ;)

Kari Jenkins said...

Hi Marie,
Thanks for stopping by adayinmommyland! I am loving SITS! Such a great way to find new blogs. I must say, while not a fan of the kraut, love this post.
Kari

Susan said...

I LOVE this! I grew up with my mother cooking very ethnic meals and I loathed sauerkraut and then I grew up. There are times I could join you for some.

Lace hearts said...

What fantastic postcards you have. thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog - I love your pictures. And your post did make me laugh.

Sparky said...

Sauerkraut!? Sure you're not PG? :o) JK

I learned from a nurse that if your body craves something often like that, you're probably missing out on some essential mineral in your diet. Find out what's in sauerkraut and take the appropriate vitamin. The cravings should go away then. That's what the nurse told me, anyway.

Starman said...

Ah, bratwurst and sauerkraut....does it get any better than that?

Starman said...

BTW - those aren't olives, they're grapes (trauben)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

As a midnight snack I can't say I've ever craved saurkraut, lol! I do like me a good bowl of cereal though. Enjoy your day and happy VTT

PeterParis said...

Sauerkraut alone... I don't know really, but if you give me an Eisbein with it!

Julie said...

I love kraut too! But not as much as you do..:) Love your BLOG..Julie

CC said...

Ummmmm, I thought I had some strange snack habits....but yours tops mine anyday. :). Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend.

Bea said...

The bow on that girl's head is almost as big as she is. Love old postcards. Thanks for sharing.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I could never eat this in the evening...I'd be up all night!!

Thanks for participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday.

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

sorry, but yuck! I just do not get into cabbage. But, hey different strokes for different folks, right! If I did eat it, though, I am pretty certain I would have the WORST heartburn! You go girl!