Potato Aphrodisiac

vintage postcards

Queen Elizabeth I adored a candy made from potatoes, anise, caraway seeds, and sea holly. They sweetened the breath and were known to arouse sexual desire. Aphrodisiac qualities were ascribed to the tuber during the 16th and 17th century. Potatoes were called love apples then. I do seemingly lust after potato chips. Maybe there is a connection!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS




22 cool cats commented:

Margo said...

Anthony Bourdain's french fries. To die for, with lust

lorhen82 said...

Hmmm...I do love potatoes, any way you can make them!

SL said...

Nice...great vintage feel blog design. Really classic.

MuseSwings said...

Mmmm the world is such a wonderful place when potatoes are on the menu!
Hugs and happy Easter to you!

Mescrap said...

Hmm...I love potato chips.

papel1 said...

Hope you had a nice Easter too.
Judy

Pat said...

I like potatoes, almost in any form. Every now and then I get an urge for a good plate of french fries and a salad. Ketchup, too...

The Tropical Blogger said...

Wow, you have a really cool blog going here. Where do you find all these postcards?

Melissa said...

Thanks for finding me and following...you definitely have some fun items on your blog! I'm following now and will be finding you on facebook, too!

Chris Overstreet said...

Calling potatoes "love apples" was a marketing gimmick, which became unnecessary after the invention of sour cream and chives. ;)

Daryl said...

I love potatoes so much I dont eat them ....

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

I love it! Spuds are one of my favorite things! How can you not smile when gazing upon a potato?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Will the English make candy out of anything? I remember the English candy in Gravity's Rainbow. Yuck!

When we were in Idaho I saw this on the rack back in 1967.:)

Barbara
(I'm posting from my daughter's computer.)

Sparky said...

I do love potatoes: raw, steamed, mashed ... whatever. Maybe they are "love apples". [smile]

Starman said...

If potatoes were really an aphrodisiac, I would be one very horny dude.

Betsy Brock said...

Never met a potato I didn't love!

Lydia said...

What a fun postcard. I love potatoes so much, and in fact, I should NOT have come here prior to dinner tonight!
(old family photos at my latest post, Marie)

steviewren said...

Love that Idaho card! Potato chips are my snack of choice. Maybe now I know why.

Catherine said...

I always wonder why some people compete to the biggest vegetable !
They're not even tastier.

Steamed potatoes with salty butter ! The simplest , the best.

Clueless in Boston said...

Very interesting historical information. I knew there was a reason I always liked potatoes, in any form.

Lady Meerkat said...

Lizzy was a strange lady ;)
Apart from all the ways already listed, I like them roasted with rosemary, olive oil and whole garlic cloves.