Bigouden Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards


This example of a rather short lace bigouden head-dress is the symbol of the tradition and identity of the Bigouden region of France. About 20 years ago, more than 3,000 women still wore this tall sugar loaf shaped bonnet. I want one!

This short kooky croûton commercial features woman wearing even taller Bigouden caps!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

25 cool cats commented:

lorhen82 said...

OK, it looks like it's probably funny, but I don't speak French! LOL

MuseSwings said...

The bonnets are quite amazing! Love the commercial too. Even w/o speaking French I get it.

claude said...

The other day I saw on the TV an old woman of Brittany going on bycicle for buing som bread with the bigouden bonnet on her head.

June said...

Fabulous bonnets and what a treat this postcard is
Hugs June xxx

Veronica Lee said...

Hi and welcome to MBC!

Veronica Lee said...

Bonjour! Thanks for following my blog. I'm following your beautiful blog too.

Uncle Deetou said...

Interesting blog... thanks!

Pat said...

I think there was a man who did an entire book on this soon-to-be-lost custom; beautiful photos he made!

Catherine said...

3000 wearing the bigouden 20 years ago ! And I haven't seen one for real !
I like this post, Marie.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love the commercial. I would have to remember to duck through doorways!

PeterParis said...

No problem, I enjoyed!!

It's of course surprising that this was the way you should be dressed in rather windy region!

Daryl said...

I hope there are no strong winds in that part of France ..

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

People never cease to make me laugh out loud.

Chris Overstreet said...

Très drôle, indeed.

Eddy said...

Do you remember my first PFF "3 old friends" ?
Perharps theirs wives, no ?

ChaChaneen said...

Oh my stars, that it so funny! ha ha You always make me laugh girlfriend!

Michelle J said...

I don't speak French but the commercial looks funny! Thank you for stopping by my blog and welcome to MBC!

Thib said...

I was in the Pays Bigouden last weekend. And that's also where I used to spend my summer holidays when I was a kid (...years ago!). Usually, the Bigouden bonnets are now more like in the commercial than on the postcard ;_)

Betty said...

Those are some really pretty bonnets. Lots of work on them, so detailed. :)

Postcardy said...

These hats are very quirky--they certainly don't look very practical.

Betsy Brock said...

No Marie...trust me...you don't want one! hee-hee!

Clueless in Boston said...

Pretty funny looking hats.

Pietro Brosio said...

Funny bonnets, but they are interesting too.

maryt/theteach said...

Love it!

Beth Niquette said...

Good Heavens! How did they get anything done?! How did they get them to stay on?! Do they stuff their hair up inside???

How quirky cool, and utterly hilarious!