Edible Zookeeper Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards

DId you know that alligators were unusually good reptilian Mums? They will often carry the hatchlings (called pods) to the water in their jaws. These slash jawed females stay with their babies for up to two years!

This zookeeper bears a striking resemblance to Captain Kangeroo! I hope that he's not on the menu along with the flapping chicken. Eeeek!




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

26 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

I know... I know... You've been gatored again! I just thought that the alligator info was very quirky!

Veronica Lee said...

It's great info. My boys love it. Do you have anything on tortoises or turtles? My boys will go crazy.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Just what I need to kick start my day, a lunacy of the animal variety

claude said...

I do not know if my phenomenal english will be good to tell you a joke :
Do you know what is the difference between a crocodile and an alligator ?
It is "caiman" the same thing.
- it is more or less the same -
(caïman for in french quasiment = in english almost pratically).
This story is a joky saying.

Catherine said...

That's a postcard that will please my 5 years old son. Specially because of the danger it represents.

Eddy said...

See you later alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later alligator
After 'while crocodile...
So long, that's all, goodbye :0)

Marie Reed said...

Eddy! Bill Haley and the Comets! Here is the link to the song:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcsuQwSpE2k&feature=related

Mike said...

Haha, I sure hope he's not on the menu - very good post! Please, do another one on alligators. You can't seem to go wrong on that topic.

Pat said...

Yes, somewhere I saw how mommy gator carries her babies to the water. Who'd have thunk it?

Unknown said...

Wow. Really cool blog! I just happened upon it and its so much fun!

tracy

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Aww, that's a sweet fact about gators. Kind of makes me want to pat her on her little head.

Susan Cook said...

I love Captain Kangaroo. That used to be one of mine & my sisters' favorite shows.

Also thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Adrianne said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

Love your blog and the information regarding alligators. My boys will think I am the coolest with the information I will share with them!

Thanks.

Beth Niquette said...

Good gravy! At least that's what that croc might be thinking. (grin) Wonderful postcard.

Aim said...

Hello , there. Just stopped by from MBC.

Sparky said...

What a cute song! I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the happy memory. Funny thing too, we recently found a local 'classic' country music station in SE Georgia 100.7 FM that I listen to all the time. Hope they play this song. :o)

Marie Reed said...

You need to ring them up and request it Sparky girl! I could probably get the number of the station online ...Hmmmnnn... I should just do it for you!((Hugs))

Starman said...

One forgets just how talented she is.

Postcardy said...

There was a candy bar called "Chicken Dinner" too.

Clueless in Boston said...

Funny post. He does look like Captain Kangaroo, one of my favorite shows growing up. Loved the Dolly Parton video with the Captain too.

Mandala Michelle said...

Captain Kangaroo Rocks! I used get up at 7 in the morning on a Saturday so I could watch him.

~Cheryl said...

You have a charming blog! I'm glad you stopped by to take a close look at my troll today (and introduce me to your blog). Loved the video of Dolly & the Captain! :)

dmarks said...

Caption: "Crikey!"

BrnEyedGal said...

My son AND husband loved this one!!! (I happen to LOVE Dolly myself, LOL)

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Captain Kangaroo... yes! You made me chuckle tonight.

MuseSwings said...

So, did you see Captain Kangaroo poke Dolly on her chest?