Pawning an Engagement Ring

vintage wedding postcards
Henri Matisse pawned his wife's sapphire engagement ring to buy this painting by Paul Cézanne. Matisse was intrigued by the way Cézanne applied unrealistic techniques to human figures. He studied this painting with pure fascination. It become his muse!


I would sell my rock lickety split for 'Les Trois Baigneuses' too! Wouldn't you? A girl can dream!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

21 cool cats commented:

Katie said...

I wonder how Matisse's wife felt about that Cézanne painting. I traded up my engagement ring for a sapphire after the divorce, so yes I guess I probably would have pawned the ring for a Cézanne while married, if given that opportunity. The postcard of the happy married couple is really sweet.

Indie said...

That's what I was thinking: I wonder how his wife felt about that? Let him pawn one of his own treasures! lol. What a good story!

Marie Reed said...

Well.... Amelie Matisse eventually left him soo I guess she wasn't really a happy camper about it. I read this story in Noah's school book:)

Pat said...

Gosh, I wonder how he got it off her finger, assuming she didn't part with it willingly.

---just read your comment and see that she left him. I hope she took the painting. It was hers, sort of.

Catherine said...

So, François has offered you a priceless engagement ring !
What's going on genius's mind ? When you read about writers, painters, they often act in a selfish way. But, with detachment, I can understand that they're so much "immersed" in their Art, that their life is not an ordinary life. Too much feelings to express.

Concerning your comment, I wonder what castle is so near from your house ? Can you make a post about it ? Maybe it's already done ? I must verify.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Wonder what his wife thought of that!
I like the postcard of the happy couple.
Isabelle x

claude said...

Never I would seel neither my engagment ring nor my wedding ring for a painting.
My vintage post card tomorrow.

Sparky said...

That is an unusual painting. I like the vintage postcard of the happy couple. :o)

Linda said...

Hmm..I think divorce would happen if my husband did that, lol. I am also intrigued with your nearby "castle". Blessings

Daryl said...

Matisse and I have the same issues .. realism .. but I stopped trying and decided photos were a lot less stressful ...

So .. the new ring .. show it!

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, I like the two young faces of other times in the postcard.

Vodka Mom said...

what line do I get in??????

Vodka Mom said...

and I LOVE your new pic.......

Vodka Mom said...

Il est très, très beau ! ! !

Geralyn Gray said...

In Philiadelphia this month there is a show Beyond Cezanne with a lot of Matisses work--I am going to try to get there next week. That story makes me want to go more.....I don't think my marriage would survive a trade like that.

dmarks said...

I visited the site of the old Napoleon Automobile factory today. I used it in my current blog post. Not much of interest there anymore.

Postcardy said...

I knew Matisse owned this painting, but I never heard the story about the ring. There is a big show this year of Cezanne's influence--paintings of Cezanne and paintings influenced by Cezanne. A YouTube video of show Cezanne and Beyond: Philadelphia Museum of Art

Starman said...

Liz Taylor's rock wouldn't pay for that painting these days.

ELH said...

That is such an interesting connection. I had no idea something like that occurred but I find it somewhat endearing that he was so obsessed with learning more about painting that he would do something like that

Betsy Brock said...

Nope...my rings are staying right here on my finger, thank you! ha-ha!

yoli said...

cute postcards!