Stork Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards

According to Alsatian tradition children wanting a sibling could coax the baby bringing stork by leaving a sugar cube on the windowsill. I've hidden the sugar, Splenda, and honey in my house just to be on the safe side!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

19 cool cats commented:

claude said...

Nice card ! The other day i found two old post card of Paris sent by may Grandpa. I will post them later.

June said...

Oh thats devine. Love the postcard.
Hope you are well
Happy thursday my friend
Hugs June xxx

Marie Reed said...

Claude - You found a postcard from your Grandfather? Wow! I can't wait to see it!

June - Thanks! I am doing well:) Noah is home from the hospital so I'm a happy Mommy!

Pat said...

Ha! At first when the title came in, I thought you were going to make an announcement to us...

Celine said...

Of course I love this one! ;)

Catherine said...

And what about these little girls born in roses and boys in cabbages ? That's for other areas than Alsace ?
I like this Alsatian trdition. More beautiful than the other one, especially if one's expecting a baby boy.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh yes, that lovely lady would have to loose that corset if the stork comes!

Hmmm...I'm with you...I'm off to hide all sweeteners!

Postcardy said...

Interesting story and card!

Margo said...

that is too funny. I love the facial expressions in so many of your vintage cards. So you have a stork and cabbages in France?

Chris Overstreet said...

Certainly having the stork do the duty is preferable to this gal losing her corseted 20-inch waist!

papel1 said...

Great postcard. Now I am trying to find something for PFF.
Judy

Pietro Brosio said...

Beautiful card! Of other times, really.

Daryl said...

I am so LOL ...

Sparky said...

So THAT's why I don't have any children?! Dang, I knew I was doing something wrong. ha ha :o)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love that postcard! I have a couple of pregnant friends that would really enjoy that!

I have missed coming here!!!

dmarks said...

"According to Alsatian tradition children wanting a sibling could coax the baby bringing stork by leaving a sugar cube on the windowsill. I've hidden the sugar, Splenda, and honey in my house just to be on the safe side!"

In modern times, children wanting a sibling continue a version of this tradition by replacing actual pills with sugar pills in birth-control pill containers.

Linda said...

CUTE!! Blessings

Starman said...

I hope they didn't try to wear those corsets when they were pregnant.

Aimee said...

Hmmm...I think I'll hide all my sugar too!