Where's the Grits Vintage Postcard?


Grits have been called "The first truly American food."



They date back to 1607, when the colonists came ashore at Jamestown, Virginia. They were met by friendly Native Americans offering steaming hot bowls of "rockahominie," which was softened maize seasoned with salt and animal fat. (I'll lay off the lard)



Corn grits were traditionally preferred to oatmeal in the South because it could withstand heat and humidity.
I could go for a steaming bowl of cheese grits right now! Yum.


Editor: Aren't you forgetting to post a vintage postcard?
Marie: Kiss my grits! Lori commented about her yummy breakfast yesterday:) I just couldn't help myself!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards


20 cool cats commented:

Maria said...

Hi vintage postcard! I tried to find you hamster on your blog but found Elvis instead!

You asked yourself if your hamster would be a good model. Maybe yes, but it would be very hard to find accessoires in the right size for him. As an example, you could not use ordinary baseball caps or sunnglasses like I could easily use for my doggy.
And I don't know if the hamster keeps still. I trained my doggy a little but she is pretty vain and therefore sits still.

So I'll come back and check your try-outs at hamster-modelling! ;)

Have a nice day and thanks for stopping by!

Kelly said...

Hello,
Just wanted to stop by and give you a big thank you for visting my blog!Please come back often!
Beautiful Blessing to you!!
~ Kelly Maria

Maria said...

Marie reed, your blog is really cool! I think the graphic designs of old postcards, advertisemens, poster etc are brilliant !
Sorry for calling you vintage postcard ;) I was too fascinated by picturing out your hamster being a model...
;)

David said...

Maire, I had some grits years ago while traveling in the south. Not a big fan of the grits - but I'm sure that like most regional foods, it must be an acquired taste. Have a great day!

Pat said...

I'm not a big fan of grits either, but I do love Quaker (and other) oatmeal! All the same, your blog today was yummy.

Marie Reed said...

G.R.I.T.S
Grown
Raised
In
The
South

Grits are getting fancy pants too. You can get them in 'wear a tie' restaurants with oodles of different sauces, meats, and veggies. It's a very diverse food. You can equate it with polenta.
I like mine plopped on a plate in a diner witha waitress who calls me honey though:)

Lori said...

Yay grits! You rock, Marie! :)

The taste of grits is inversely proportional to how good it is for you. I.e., the more butter and salt, the better the taste.

Betsy Brock said...

Cheese grits....sounds yummy!

Blog Bee said...

You know how there are certain foods people keep eating even when it seems like the wrong weather? like Chinese people still eat bowls of steaming hot soup in 90% humidity and Swedes keep drinking cups of steaming hot coffee. I always remember going to the South and being served a hot bowl of cheese grits with a fried egg on top in the hottest, most humid weather this side of the amazon. It was delicious!

Daryl said...

While in N'awlins we had a choice of grits or potatoes with breakfast ..

:-Daryl

Jan Ross said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. You know we bloggers LIVE for comments! I love your little flag blogicon. We are so cool, aren't we?

Jane Hards Photography said...

Grits are one oth those things that has just not travelled to the UK. A game girl that I am I may jsut have to make some. Sure they wbe a disaster though.

MuseSwings said...

Ah loves mah grits! Plain, cheese, fried, you name it. Grits puts a little south in your mouth!
Ya'll come down and see me sometime, ya hear?
The Romanian version of grits is called mamaliga. Wonderful with chicken paprikash.

Cynthia

Greg C said...

I had a big plate of cheese grits this morning. I usually reserve that for the weekend but I felt like having a big breakfast this morning.

Steve Buser said...

You need to get a box of slow cooked grits. You'll really appreciate the difference over instant grits.

Unknown said...

OMG I LOVE grits! I would eat them whenever we went down to Florida! The only place you can get grits in Toronto is from Denny's and even then they always ask me if I'm sure I want them?!?!

M.K. said...

Yummy! We're having grits tonight for supper, along with breakfast casserole. We like them made with cream (half and half) instead of water. SO good! I like them with salt and butter, but my hubby prefers them with jelly. Can you imagine?

soulbrush said...

this blog is amazing, so glad i found it, will link it too.....we have quaker oats, never tasted grits before.

Max-e said...

Hi Marie, I have enjoyed browsing through your blog. You have some really intersting bits and pieces here.
Btw, we we call grits mealie meal porridge. Mealies, is our name for corn.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

hey, whose the mysterious "editor"? just curious :o)