Sugary Sweet Vintage Postcards


Napoleon Bonaparte's dearest Josephine had stub like and blackened chompers because of a childhood of sugar cane chewing.


She was born in Martinique to a creole sugar plantation owning family.

Napoleon once wrote to her, “You to whom nature has given spirit, sweetness, and beauty (except when you open your mouth), you who alone can move and rule my heart, you who knows all too well the absolute empire you exercise over it!”


This vintage postcard friend is transporting the sugar cane crop to the train station. It's off to be shipped internationally. I happily ship my vintage postcards overseas too. Editor: That is a pretty shameless plug Marie: Jeez! Go eat some sugar cane:)


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards


5 cool cats commented:

Blog Bee said...

Hahaha! It just goes to show, if you love someone, even blackened stub teeth can be overcome!

Suzanne said...

Oh Marie!!! You've hit a chord here. I have a photograph of my grandmother standing in the field, stripping sugar cane. They were farmers in the Florida panhandle, growing sugar cane, cotton and peanuts.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Lori said...

Thank you, Marie, thank you! My 6-year-old read your post over my shoulder and then went and brushed her teeth without me having to beg her to!

Pat said...

Gee, and Napoleon still fell in love with her. I love molasses, but have never chewed the cane. When I was in Cameroon though, it was the custom to chew kola nuts.

As usual, enjoyed your post.

smilnsigh said...

I had previously heard that her teeth were.... *distressed.* This settles it. 'Twas true. :-)

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh
Photos-City-Mine